ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jfw11 Offline OP
I recently replaced a 3 wire 30A dryer surface outlet (connected to 8-3 Alum, ugh!) with a 4 wire 30A outlet. I roughed in a 4" sq box and 1 gang plaster ring. The drywall was hung, taped and painted. I then tried to insert the outlet and found that it was slightly wider than the 1 gang opening. Is this common?

I had to adjust the width of the opening with linemans pliers and now the drywall needs some work.

Thanks

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
Next time install a 2-gang mud ring. 4 mounting holes on the receptacle will line up with the 4 holes.

jfw11,

Did that cable have a ground? (4 wires)

Bill

Bill
J
jfw11 Offline OP
The old alum cable was 3 wire Red/Black/White in a nearly round sheath. The sheath had a bump (a half circle much smaller than the main circle) as seen in cross section.
I assume that meant something (like this is alum) because it appeared to have no functional purpose.

The new cable is NM-B 10-3 W/G. This my son's fixer-upper and I feel better with no alum wire in the place. Even the 200A service is copper in conduit/steam pipe.

thanks

You lost me somewhere on the description of that cable but I'm glad to hear it was replaced.

On the Service I'm assuming you mean Galvanized Rigid Conduit (not 'steam pipe')

[Linked Image]
Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 08-13-2003).]

Bill
Not to be toooo nit-picky, but the rings you describe are called switch rings.
Plaster rings are of the round (3-0) variety...S

J
jfw11 Offline OP
I'm a humble software engineer so I might not have all the lingo, but...

Most catalogs seem to call them plaster rings, goggle finds lots of plaster ring references, but no switch ring references that refer to the box accessory (in the first 50 or so responses), and the term switch ring does not appear the NEC2005 draft, while plaster ring does in several places.

Thanks for the advice about 2-gang *** rings, that makes a lot of sense both from the outlet size and hand space.

thanks.

G
GEO Offline
JFW11
not trying to defend anyone , different areas have terms and i have been surprised what some call things. as far as switch NEVER have heard of this ,there is a tile and a plaster ring these get mixed up BUT would not even known why it could or would be called this ? some read the profile instead of the question. GEO

P
We also call them plaster rings, but I believe the term manufacturers use is, 1/2 two gang raised roughing cover, and whatever size the ring may be (3/4, 5/8, etc...). There is not too much plastering going on anymore, except maybe at the ginmill.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
R
We put in a 2-gang box as well and buy the 4x4 cover with proper hole size it covers all fits flush just like a reular receptical cover....Did I miss something here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard