ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 390 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Well, we do drive on the right side of the road over here in the USA [Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
Joe, I believe the easiest thing to do in this case (next to flipping the receptacle around) is to just change the cap (dead front of course [Linked Image] ). You have to, anyway. Look at the shape of the whole situation there.

If you flip the receptacle, what happens when someone else has to plug something and the cap is "upside down"?

I'd shoot for one of those standard round caps with the wire coming straight out the back, unless you need a right angle because of tight clearances.

In that case, one (maybe more) of the big manufacturers makes a right-angle that can be assembled so the cord exists in your choice of four different directions (right left, up, down). Expensive solution, but hey....

The situation pictured is also typical of a lot of vending machines and refrigerators I see while hanging around and doing my grocery shopping. One particular case I remember in my favorite supermarket was two refrigerators with two caps oriented the same way.

In order to accomodate the two caps on one socket, the store personell used TWO cheater plug adapters to bring the "top" plug further out so it could fit over the bottom one! Obviously that icebox ain't grounded now!! [Linked Image]

==
Joe said:

Whenever I mention some of the problems I discover during my travels, I get a dirty look, they say mind your own business, and why were you trespassing!

Unfortunately that's the way it is. Sometimes it's better (for one's personal safety and wellbeing) to keep one's mouth shut. You try to be a nice guy and you get &#$@.

I don't feel like spending my summers with my jaw wired shut...you know... [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 08-09-2003).]

H
Joe,And John,

Having plugs installed upside down is very common. Cane we do something about it? I don't think so. Until all the manufactures make there cord the same way. Say if the grounding conductor was on the bottom of the cap and the cord also left via the bottom of the cap then all cords would hang down. Then the NEC would have to state that all receptacles would have to be installed with the grounding conductor down. Or visa-versa if you don't want plates to fall on the hot/neutal prongs. As an electrical contractor (EC) I would see that the cord had some strain on it and I would change the angle of the receptacle. However I still see on newer installs where the cords are still upside down. When I go for a final inspection the appliance isn't there. When I leave the building and give it my final OK and the applience guys come later they don't give a damn as to which way the cord is facing. Yet the job was done and inspected and passed at the time when we were there. If it is a res. job there isn't much that you can do. If it is a com/ind job you can just hope that the fire inspector guys do their job.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard