ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 483 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#85779 08/19/03 07:01 AM
R
never mind

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 08-19-2003).]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#85780 08/19/03 03:59 PM
E
Well, what about 110.5? An EGC is not "normally used to carry current", so use of emt or other raceways as an EGC is not a violation of this section, but a neutral is "normally used to carry current". What material is that particular emt made of? [Linked Image]

(I was directing this response to the original question rather than sparky's monkey wrench. I don't know how to noodle out of that one [Linked Image] )

[This message has been edited by eprice (edited 08-19-2003).]

#85781 08/20/03 06:28 PM
W
A couple of years ago I did some work at a small custom furniture shop. Someone had added some receptacles, ceiling fans and lights. They just found a wire in a J box,tied to it and tied the other wire to the building bar joist steel. Sometimes one leg of three phase , whatever was handy. No neutral, no real ground.

I corrected everything I touched and provided a written warning about the situation. The place burned to the ground a few months later. Fortunately no one got electrocuted.

#85782 08/20/03 09:13 PM
W
Hi Guys,

IMO;

The code can not state this rule exclusively and simply because there are exceptions to the rule.

I think I would have a hard time convincing a jury of our peers that the code does not expressly prohibit uninsulated grounded conductors, with only a few exceptions which are clearly referenced in 310.2 Exception. Consider the overwhelming evedence that is plainly stated;

NEC 2002
300.3 Conductors.
(A) Single Conductors. Single conductors specified in Table 310.13 shall only be installed where part of a recognized wiring method of Chapter 3.

310.2 Conductors.(A) Insulated. Conductors shall be insulated.
Exception: Where covered or bare conductors are specifically permitted elsewhere in this Code.
FPN:See 250.184 for insulation of neutral conductors of a solidly grounded high-voltage system.
(B) Conductor Material. Conductors in this article shall be of aluminum, copper-clad aluminum, or copper unless otherwise specified.

ARTICLE 310 Conductors for General Wiring
310.11 Marking.
(A) Required Information. All conductors and cables shall be marked to indicate the following information, using the applicable method described in 310.11(B):
(1) The maximum rated voltage.
(2) The proper type letter or letters for the type of wire or cable as specified elsewhere in this Code.
(3) The manufacturer’s name, trademark, or other distinctive marking by which the organization responsible for the product can be readily identified.
(4) The AWG size or circular mil area.
FPN:See Conductor Properties, Table 8 of Chapter 9 for conductor area expressed in SI units for conductor sizes specified in AWG or circular mil area.
(5) Cable assemblies where the neutral conductor is smaller than the ungrounded conductors shall be so marked.

With these examples above, there is no way one could confuse conduit as being an acceptable grounded conductor!

Thanks,
Dave

Dave
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard