ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, gfretwell), 269 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
There's an article in the July EC magazine that talks about the new GFCI construction requirements. I was surprised to read that if these are miswired the button will pop out and they will not reset, (as we expected) but they will be energized?

Bill

Bill
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

T
They remain energized just like the old style? [Linked Image] ( except the old style would reset )

Donnie
Donnie,

Yes, that's what it seems to say ... [Linked Image]
I guess you're supposed to notice the button is popped out and realize something might be wrong, but if the outlet works is 'Joe Average' going to know or care?

Bill

Bill
T
Here is the article: http://www.ecmag.com/editorial_detail.aspx?id=749

One of the "three of the most important changes in the certification objectives" is:

Stopping power if the devices are improperly wired, although the receptacles will still work. GFCIs currently give no hints if they are not operating properly.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

P
I don't think I've ever looked closely at an American GFCI receptacle.

How are the two sets of terminals labeled? Line and load?

T
Paul:

Exactly. In fact, the ones made by Leviton have a yellow warning label over the load terminals, to help prevent miswiring.

J
JBD Offline
I think it would be very cost prohibive if not physically impossible to manufacture a GFCI that would disconnect the receptacle face as a result of mis-wiring.

The block diagram for a properly wired device is similar to:

[incoming power]->[Line terminal]->[GFCI sensing]->[power disconnect]->[receptacle face]->[load terminals]->[down stream devices]

On a miswired receptacle the power is applied to the "load" terminals and therefore directly to the receptacle face. To prevent this from happening a second set of disconnect contacts would be required after the receptacle face. A possible block diagram would then be:

[incoming power]->[load terminal]->[power disconnect]->[receptacle face]->[power disconnect]->[GFCI sensing]->[line terminals]->[down stream devices]

The all but failsafe solution: use GFCI breakers instead.

C
I'm seeing alot of trip indicator lites on these but don't know if it shows miswiring or not.

JBD,

I'm sure it's not as simple as it sounds, most things aren't. [Linked Image]

It's a surprise to me though, I assumed claims that it 'would not reset' had something to do with denergizing the receptacle so it couldn't be used if there was no GFCI protection. Didn't everyone think that would be the case?

Bill

Bill
C
C-H Offline
This sounds like the GFCI receptacles are single pole breaking only.

GFCI receptacles here in Sweden (and presumably in all of Europe) are double pole breaking. Portable GFCI's are also double pole breaking. (It can be turned either way in the receptacle and fits both grounded and ungrounded receptacles.)

How much does a GFCI receptacle cost in the US? A portable GFCI?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard