ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 172 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
C-H:

By double-pole do you mean that the both the hot and neutral are interrupted?

I know that at least on a newer GFCI that I tested via the "TEST" button, there was no voltage when testing hot to neutral and hot to ground. There was no continuity, testing neutral to ground. Once it was reset, there was voltage hot to neutral and hot to ground, and continuity neutral to ground.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

T
Paul:

Here are some photos of a GFCI receptacle:

The yellow label covers the LOAD screws. (First 2 photos)
[Linked Image from 65.108.216.53]
The padlock symbol shows that the device meets the new requirements.

Notice it is shipped in the "tripped" mode, requiring correct wiring and pressing the "RESET" button (at least that's what the instructions read...)

[This message has been edited by ThinkGood (edited 07-31-2003).]

P
Thanks for that.

It looks to me as though the manufacturer/UL-specification has done all that can reasonably be expected and then some. Personally, I would have drawn the line at including instructions which clearly explain which set of terminals to go where for the less technically-minded (e.g. Line=In, Load=Out, in layman's terms).

To have the receptacle dead on application of power to the load terminals would involve extra complexity which seems out of proportion to the problem.

There has to come a point at which we say "That's enough - You are now responsible for correct use of the device."

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 08-01-2003).]

R
Bill,
It's a surprise to me though, I assumed claims that it 'would not reset' had something to do with denergizing the receptacle so it couldn't be used if there was no GFCI protection. Didn't everyone think that would be the case?
I assumed the same thing. Sounds like another case of a manufacturers implying that their safety products do more then what they actually do.

Don(resqcapt19)
C
C-H Offline
ThinkGood,

Yes, exactly. And it sounds like your device is that type too.

If the GFCI trips when miswired, I can't see no way it could supply power.

Ahh, hey, I got an idea. What if the text you quoted should have been: "...but the other receptacles still work" It doesn't take out the breaker, just the receptacles on it's own front.

If you have one of these devices, why don't you simply test reversing polarity?

T
How about a diode, or maybe a really small "ONE WAY" sign for the electrons? [Linked Image]

C
C-H Offline
One way signs only work for DC, you know. With AC you are just gonna get pulsating DC. [Linked Image]

E
I checked this out today. When I reversed line and load the reset button would not "reset". The gfci face was still energized and the indicator light was not lit. The load receptacles were dead. Sound like we've been sold a bill of goods once again.

I'm disappointed. I guess it's an improvement if the downstream loads won't work if it's miswired, I wish the indicator light would be on though. [Linked Image]

Bill

Bill
Broom Pusher and
Now that really sucks! (pardon the language!).

I was also _ASSUMING_ that the devices would not be live at the Receptacle if Line / Load was mismatched.

Well, better go back and fix all those GFCI Recepts that I hooked up backwards! [Linked Image]
<Joke>

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard