ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#85670 07/28/03 09:06 AM
R
We had osha inspection at our job site and He says any drop cord with a metal box at the end had to go because the handy boxes aren`t listed for the purpose.My question is this correct.We have fs box with gfci installed cover and everything but he says if it wasn`t store bought and didn`t have a UL listing stamp it gotta go and it did.Any help would be aprreciated.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

See this thread, it covers a similar discussion:
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001191.html

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
B
www.danielwoodhead.com Nice but pricey.

B

S
Bjarney,

I don't think so. The one you link to is just for making an extension cord (or replacing a worn out connector on an existing cord). It's listed for that purpose.

I've made my own heavy-duty extension cords using 12-gauge and 14-gauge x 3 cord and a male and female industrial-type 15-amp connector. Better than those wussy 16-gauge things from Walmart, for sure! [Linked Image]

I think the ones R-B was scolded by the OSHA man for was the "Joe Tedesco pet peeve special" --- pair of standard duplex receptacles in a 4x4 handybox with a cord clamped into it. Missing knockout slugs in the box just add to the general look of the thing. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 08-10-2003).]

[Linked Image from joetedesco.com]

That's the one!!

Can you imagine the hotel giving me a mess like this one to use during a seminar!

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 08-10-2003).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
B
I’ll bet stranded cord conductors have been poke-wired into the receptacles, too.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 08-10-2003).]

B
Joe, I have an idea for promoting Code education. Surely you have collection of “Top 52” violation photos. How about printing decks of “Tedesco Playing Cards”?

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 08-10-2003).]

I
Shoot I would buy a set of JT violation cards. [Linked Image]

Joe, Did a hotel really hand that out to a guy running an electrical code seminar. [Linked Image from click-smilie.de]

What did you say when you saw it, could it be printed here?

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
H
iwire,

I have know Joe T for many years. I have seen many of his "Violation" pictures. When I meet him in Mystic, Conn. many years ago he had TRAYS of slides of pictures. He most likely now has many,many,many CD disk's of thousnads of pictures that he himself took and other that many people ( including myself) how sent him tons of pictures. The one that always sticks out the most is the "floating receptacle" bottle. That one is pricless. Or maybe the one of the gut walking on the wires high on PCB. Or maybe the death wish ladder. You get my point. Just stick around and listen to Joe and see what he has to teach us all with. I keep telling Gary and Shawn the same thing. We are never to old to learn something new.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard