ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
steve66 Offline OP
Does the working space in Article 110.26 apply to transformers? Would a 480V panelboard across the isle from a 480 to 208 transformer require 4' between them? Also, do the working space requirements apply to the sides of the transformer? If not, how much space would required on the sides to run conduit in and pull wire (aren't transformers usually fed with a LB into to side?) I am laying out an electrical room, but I'm not an electrician, and I'm not sure how the connections to transformers are usually made.

Finally, can the transformer be backed right up aginst a wall, or does it need breathing room behind it?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

B
99NEC 450-9. Transformers with ventilating openings shall be installed so that the ventilating openings are not blocked by walls or other obstructions. The required clearances shall be clearly marked on the transformer.

110-16 working clearances would not be modified by ventilation clearances.

450.13 Accessibility.

All transformers and transformer vaults shall be readily accessible to qualified personnel for inspection and maintenance ...

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
R
Ron Offline
Working clearances are required to perform preventative maintenance on the xfmr. Granted that most PM can be done with the xfmr not energized, but some will be done live (such as infrared measurements). You will need at least condition 2, possibly condition 3 depending on the interpretation of the AHJ.

[This message has been edited by Ron (edited 07-26-2003).]

Ron

Link Copied to Clipboard