ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Transformers are typically wired with flexible metal conduits and we know that is usually not considered as a problem.

Question: An installer wired the primary of a transformer with a 2 inch EMT, and used a 4 inch EMT out for the secondary supply.

Does the NECĀ® have any rule that could be cited, or would the specifications, or the instructions require flexible connections?

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
Ron Offline
Job specs only would dictate a flex requirement. No NEC requirement that I know of.

Ron
I
I only get 9 "hits for vibration in the 2002 NEC, none of which seem to apply.

368.28 (Bussways over 600 volts)

400.7 (Cords)

422.16 (Appliances)

545.13 (Manufactured Buildings)

550.16 (Mobile Homes)

551.30 (RVs)

551.47 (RVs)

552.48 (Park Trailers)

695.12 (Fire Pumps)

I looked in 450 and some raceway articles and could find no requirement to flex in transformers, I have done it with many different methods, pipe, trough, flex, etc.

What I found strange is no requirement to use a flexible method to a motor.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Thanks for the quick reply, my student Elliot is happy now!

iwire:
See 430.145 Method of Grounding.
Where required, grounding shall be done in the manner specified in Part V of Article 250.

(A) Grounding Through Terminal Housings. Where the wiring to fixed motors is metal-enclosed cable or in metal raceways, junction boxes to house motor terminals shall be provided, and the armor of the cable or the metal raceways shall be connected to them in the manner specified in Article 250.

FPN: See 430.12(E) for equipment grounding connection means required at motor terminal housings.

(B) Separation of Junction Box from Motor. The junction box required by 430.145(A) shall be permitted to be separated from the motor by not more than 1.8 m (6 ft), provided the leads to the motor are Type AC cable or armored cord or are stranded leads enclosed in liquidtight flexible metal conduit, flexible metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, rigid metal conduit, or electrical metallic tubing not smaller than metric designator 12 (trade size ), the armor or raceway being connected both to the motor and to the box.
Liquidtight flexible nonmetallic conduit and rigid nonmetallic conduit shall be permitted to enclose the leads to the motor, provided the leads are stranded and the required equipment grounding conductor is connected to both the motor and to the box.

Where stranded leads are used, protected as specified above, each strand within the conductor shall be not larger than 10 AWG and shall comply with other requirements of this Code for conductors to be used in raceways.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

Link Copied to Clipboard