ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 278 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
steve66 Offline OP
A new building needs to have (4) 200A meters, and one 800 or 1000A meter. I believe the power company will place a pad (or vault) mounted transformer about 50' from the building. I would like the 200A meters to be a commercial meter stack, but the large meter has to be a CT meter. My question: can two sets of conductors come from the transformer with one set serving the meter stack, and one set for the CT meter? Or would this be considered two services to one building? (all the meters would be in approximentaly the same location).

If this doesn't fly, I guess I will have to set a large tapp box on the side of the building and then feed everything from it.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

C
Steve

Why don't you have a switchboard built with an underground pull section, (1) 1000 amp meter/c.t./breaker section and (1) section with 4 - 200 amp meter sockets/breakers? The materials and labor to build this in the field is going to cost you more than this switchboard.

Curt

Curt Swartz
S
steve66 Offline OP
I think the architect and the client would have a fit if I told them I want to put a 1600A switchboard on the side of their new building. A 1600 Amp switchboard is usually about 8' tall and at least 36" deep. I guess I am trying to minimize the amount of stuff that has to go on the outside of the building. And the local power company won't consider putting meters inside the building even in a dedicated room with an outside door.

P
Steve
Curt's idea is much 'cleaner' than all the troughs, conduit, boxes, etc...
I would think an architect would like to save his customer money, space, time and the flexibility the gear would add.
Try putting the idea before them and make it seem like the only way to go, being a salesman is part of our job, sometimes the 'fun' part. Don't forget to tell him all the money he is going to save.
Good Luck!

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
Z
Steve66,- If your building has a block and fire rated walls then you should check with POCO and the AHJ to see if they will allow you to put individual services to each area.

Shoot first, apologize later.....maybe
S
steve66 Offline OP
I still think the cheapest way to do this would be to feed the large meter out of the tranformer separately. The NEC handbook has exhibit 230.7, which seems to imply this can be done. I'll see if the AHU shoots it down or not.

Thanks for all the help.
Steve

Link Copied to Clipboard