ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#85559 07/16/03 09:26 AM
U
Yes, the 120VAC could originate from the control transformer, if one exists. You never indicated that, so I did not make any assumptions. Yes you could insert it into the control string in the proper place.

I am unfamiliar or at least at this time, not up to snuff on the CMP-20 opinion. I will endeavor to look into that soon. Since you are speaking to pools & article 680, again, you did not mention that in your original or subsequent post so I was thinking in general terms like 3 phase motors applied outdoors or in situations like car washes or industrial processes.

The Leviton device IS a less costly device; and given the lack of listing for 3 phase applications, and then permutating it to a municipal or commercial type pool would seem to be for a reason. Perhaps the electronic circuitry is not set up to handle the 3 phase condition; I just don't know. So, when I don't know, I have to defer to the side of caution until I am sure.

Kinda of a chicken crap answer, but one I can live with if I were in your shoes. I did a quick search on the web, and came up with this link: http://www.zymico.com/gfi.shtml I see that this person does indeed do what you are asking, and claims, I believe, erroneously so, that it is LISTED for 3 phase. I believe that this individual is a home brewer AND an electrician, but has mis-applied the device. Nonetheless, it still works, I guess. What I was searching for was a device LISTED for your application to cite as a listed alternative, albeit, I'm sure, more expensive. I'll keep looking, but check with Leviton abut this directly; perhaps I'm wrong, and you'll get the answer from the horse's mouth.

[This message has been edited by US Coreman (edited 07-16-2003).]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#85560 07/16/03 11:48 AM
C
C-H Offline
Sparky,
now I understand. I just didn't think enough out of the box to grasp that the GFI just contained the "donut" and control circuit. Cool thing!

#85561 07/16/03 07:38 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
the 2005 ROP pg 63, 17-82, log #148 discusses 680.22(a)(5) which allows for hardwired pools, non-gfi

i could never understand why, and there are those who say that the best way to gain clarity is to write an ROP

a YASENCHAK claims 3 ph protection is null and void (it is as far as 680.22 stands) , somewhat confusing to read here....

they would seem to be accusing the 2002 process of dropping the ball

the pdf file has headers before and after the rop, can anyone here tell me which applies to the rop? the one before, or after it?

anyhow, the spa unit sold to me has the very same high umph GFI unit as in your link US Coreman

the contactor that is included is a 3 pole

if in fact, i've violated the listing by introducing a third wire ,not much of a feat really..... i can live with that as long as the protection i'm trying to provide is for real......

C-H
i had to see if it could be done

it appears to work, as well as it does for the brewer/'lectricain in US Coreman's link
(at least i've someone else on line to share the chickencrap if it starts to fly eh?) [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 07-16-2003).]

#85562 07/17/03 12:24 PM
J
JBD Offline
The Leviton website lists several 50A 3-phase contactors which are UL Listed. As long as you are using one of these specific devices you should have no problem and minimal concerns.

#85563 07/17/03 07:57 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
same animal JBD,
the bigger Q is why cmp-20 would choose to pass this over?

#85564 08/11/03 09:15 PM
Administrator
[Linked Image]
i just don't understand why i cannot do this?

nor is CMP-20 forwarding a palatable rationale.....

~Steve aka sparky

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard