ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#85334 06/23/03 12:12 PM
J
Our company manufactures equipment for the wireless internet market. Some customers have asked for "plenum rated" equipment. Can someone tell me where I can find out more about this.

I need to know;
What constiutes a plenum?

What are the requirements of equipment placed in plenum space? Fire? Smoke? Other?

Are there fire & safety requirements (other than UL 60590) for equipment mounted in non-plenum spaces that I should be aware of?

Thanks,

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#85335 06/23/03 02:31 PM
Tom Offline
What many people call a "plenum" is actually (in the NEC) " "Other space used for environmental air" Take a look at 300.22 in the 2002 NEC Handbook.

NEC definition of plenum- A compartment or chamber to whih one or more air ducts are connected and that forms part of the air distribution system.

Most of the concern is about smoke. I think UL will be your best resource on this matter.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#85336 06/23/03 09:51 PM
R
300.22(C) is the code section in the NEC.
It does matter who is asking for the equipment, if it's in Chicago their 300.22 is way different from the NECs.

This is Chicago's.

(c) Other Space Used for Environmental Air. This section applies to space used for environmental air-handling purposes other
than ducts and plenums as specified in (a) and (b) of this section. It does not include habitable rooms or areas of buildings, the prime
purpose of which is not air handling.
FPN: The space over a hung ceiling used for environmental air-handling purposes is an example of the type of other space to
which this section applies.
Exception: This section shall not apply to the joist or stud spaces of dwelling units where the wiring passes through such spaces
perpendicular to the long dimension of such spaces.
(1) Wiring Methods. The wiring methods for such other space shall be limited to the following:
(a) Conductors or cables installed in electrical metallic tubing with gland nut type fittings, intermediate metal conduit or galvanized rigid
metal conduit;
(b) Type MI Cable as permitted in Article 330;
(c) Type MC Cable employing a smooth or corrugated impervious metal sheath without an overall nonmetallic covering, as permitted in
Article 334;
(d) Flexible metallic tubing as permitted in Article 349;
(e) Liquidtight flexible metal conduit in lengths not to exceed 6 ft (1.83 m), to connect physically adjustable equipment and devices, other
than lighting fixtures, permitted to be in these spaces.
(2) Equipment. Electric equipment with a metal enclosure and no direct openings to the air space, and associated wiring material
suitable for the ambient temperature shall be permitted to be installed in such other space unless prohibited elsewhere in this chapter. Boxes
shall have no holes and shall be provided with gasketed covers.
FPN: This requirement is not intended to limit recessed fixtures that are constructed with tight seams and joints. Where so constructed
no additional gasketing or sealing is required.
Exception: Integral fan systems specifically identified for such use.
(d) Information Technology Equipment. Electric wiring in air-handling areas beneath raised floors for information technology
equipment shall be permitted in accordance with Section 18-27-300.22(c) and Article 645.

[This message has been edited by russ m (edited 06-23-2003).]

Link Copied to Clipboard