ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#85065 05/26/03 12:24 AM
J
What is the corect method of installing canopy lights over gas pumps? Plans say to use rigid conduit on top of canopy.Do you use junction boxes or pipe directly into lights? Is this cosidered class 1 div 2 location.

jimmy w. brown
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

W
I've seen every method out there, UF, PVC, EMT, Seal tite but never rigid. Usually the lights are in a line so one just tees into a fixture and keeps going to the next. Not a class 1 div 2 area in my mind. One its up 14 feet and two its seperated by the deck.

U
Of all the fueling island canopies that I have worked on, at least here in the Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana area, there is usually an explosion proof seal off in or on one of the support columns. From there, we did run rigid [GRSC] up to the top of the canopy. At that point, we would transition to EMT, compression fittings and weatherproof, [Bell] boxes. It has been about a decade since I've done one. At that time, we used a surface mounted 2 x 2 metal halide fixture with a dropped prismatic lens. Mobil gas stations had a unique canopy with a "roof" over the top of the steel stucture, from which, you had to remove full length steel panels to gain access. It was a lot of work, but they were always in better shape.

Recently, the trend has been to use recessed or semi-recessed metal halide fixtures. The new BP canopies are a neat looking breed, [at least for new stations], and I can't speak to those.

As a last aside, the area I come from is generically a pipe and wire are only. Plastic is rellagated to underground uses, but of course, not for hazardous location work.

As PS, the plans call for rigid, [GRSC], do you have the latitude to use something else? Perhaps the GC or the oil company rep won't ever check, but if the plans call for one material, isn't the customer expencting that? Perhaps I've been working for municipalities for too long, but if you didn't ask for a change, offer a credit, or get approval, you would be back, changing out the materials for those speced, and waiting for your money.

[This message has been edited by US Coreman (edited 05-26-2003).]

S
The canopies i wired up in the past, over any haz-zone, merely needed to be wired for the great outdoors.....

Link Copied to Clipboard