ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
W
wa2ise Offline OP
Is this allowed? Assume that there are no splices in the wires (that the BX sheath was cut several feet into its length and the newly exposed wire now resides in the emt. Also, do I need to keep the cover plate on the pull box accessible after it's installed in the house?

[img}http://home.netcom.com/~wa2ise/power/emt-bx.jpg[/img]

Bob, homeowner who'd like to get it right.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

W
wa2ise Offline OP
[Linked Image from home.netcom.com]

W
Also, do I need to keep the cover plate on the pull box accessible after it's installed in the house?

Nec 2002
314.29 Boxes and Conduit Bodies to Be Accessible.
Boxes and conduit bodies shall be installed so that the wiring contained in them can be rendered accessible without removing any part of the building...........

Hope this helps!
Dave

Dave
G
Hello Bob,

Yep-Conduit bodies and covers have to be accesible however if you change that jake-L in your photo to a flex changeover (maybe 1/2 rigid coupling) I believe your good to go
Also, all three items in the photo are approved raceways, I surely haven't ever heard of anything against using all together!

If you were to change the pull elbow to a rigid coupling, it doesn't appear that one could see the required anti-short bushing for inspection purposes. The fix for that would be to use the type of AC connector with the small hole through which the bushing can be seen.
I think you're fine as is, provided you make sure it's accessible...S

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 05-26-2003).]

E
If the inspector was looking for an antishort all he would have to do is remove the cover and look for the little tail on the antishort. I have used a similar method when roughing in block walls. I would extend 1/2" conduits and 90 at ceiling. One could run mc to the conduit, use a mc/emt connector and strip mc long enough to get to box.

S
Wire that is not a part of a UL approved NEC wiring method is required to be marked with certain information every so many feet. Since wire used in AC cable is typically not marked and only the tag on the AC cable tells you what type and size wire it is, technically I think it may be noncompliant.

Practically I think it is probably ok.

AC cable is not a raceway by the way.

No the short radius elbow cannot be buried.

Link Copied to Clipboard