ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
T
First, I would like to make sure I have my terminology correct. The conductor that runs from the "ground rod" to the circuit-breaker panel is the GEC, correct?

Leviton makes a "Structured Media System" that is contained in a (wall-mounted) metal box. The box has a green screw for grounding. (The box will contain telephone and networking wires.)

Is it permissible to connect a conductor from the green screw to the GEC, using some kind of "tap" connector, in such a way that the GEC is not cut?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
ThinkGood,
other systems need to be bonded per 250.94.

the Leviton structured media systems , as far as i can tell with those i've installed, seem to be an'inside' goodie placed by the panel.

These 'other systems' (read~tele,cable) that usually come from the street and end up near the meter location usually expect a means to bond there (so the service dude doesn't need to come in?)

The NEC changed a cycle or two ago to express this, many started simply extending a piece of bare cu out of meter bases on all-pipe services to comply

(can you believe a poco guy said to me that my GEC wasn't long enough) [Linked Image]

and yes, i use the green G-screw to make a small piece of bare cu into the panel 4 square to terminate with the EGC there also....

when in doubt, ground it!

G
ThinkGood,
Not only is it permissible, and a good idea, Article 800-40 (99 reference) require it.

T
OK, I just wanted to make sure that the GEC was not "exclusively" for the CB panel.

Is a "split bolt" the proper item to use for the connection?

G
ThinkGood,
A split bolt is fine. I prefer the bronze ones when used outdoors, but I do believe all would be rated for this use, as long as you are not burying them.

Link Copied to Clipboard