ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 483 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
As a substitute for reducing washers, one replacement is a threaded reducing bushing with a pair of locknuts. The intent is to yield better ground continuity and increased physical-damage withstand. (Say, limit the size to 2 inch.)
http://www.appletonelec.com/pdf/I-36.pdf is an example of the subject reducing bushing.

Would AHJs in your area accept or reject such an installation?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

C
resqcapt 19: Do you remove paint around a knockout when installing an EMT connector and a locknut? If you examine the oversize KO you will find raw metal all around the opening. I believe the reducing washers are formed so as to make good contact with this raw metal edge - no need to remove paint. Naturally one must tighten the locknut thoroughly. Bjarney: Sure, I would accept the reducing bushing and I wouldn't remove any paint, depending on the locknut to dig through the paint. Creighton

R
Creighton,
In my opinion the teeth on the locknut are designed to meet the rule in 250.96(A). I believe that this is even part of the listing and when this rule was first placed in the code one of the EMT connector manufacturer's made a point, in their ads, that their locknut was listed for grounding without removing the paint. I see no way that a reducing bushing will provide an adequate fault clearing path if the surface paint is not removed.
250.96(A) ... Any nonconductive paint, enamel, or similar coating shall be removed at threads, contact points, and contact surfaces or be connected by means of fittings designed so as to make such removal unnecessary.
Don

[This message has been edited by resqcapt19 (edited 05-09-2003).]

Don(resqcapt19)
D
Thank you all for your replies, I appreciate the feedback.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard