ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#84708 04/27/03 12:27 PM
D
I got a side job from one of the manangers at work. (not my dept) to hook up her hot tub.

The tub is located approx 40 ft from the house. It is a pretty big one with an gazebo type roof. It appears to be 120/240 or maybe just 240, the instructions are for about 6 different tubs. Nameplate states 50 amp max breaker, and theres a tag that says it MUST be GFCI protected. You should have seen the look on her face when I told her what a 50 amp gfci breaker cost.
But so far all well and good.

First question is where do I put the disco if in fact I even need one? There is only two choices, on the house within sight, or on the tub itself (which I am not crazy about).

Second question is she stated she wanted a plug so she could plug in some christmas lights on a tree approx 5-6 feet from the tub. Can I install the plug, gfci protected of course, on the side of the tub with an in use cover? Or do I need to trench to the tree and mount it on the tree? Keep in mind the only other structure is the house 40 feet away.

Last is not a code question exactly but refers to "protection from physical damage" when running PVC pipe. It has been by experince that lawn mowers hunt down the pipes and break them on a regular basis. I was thinking of running a one size larger emt or rigid sleeve over the PVC where it comes out of the ground. Would that be acceptable? Are there any other tricks to trying to protect the pvc?

These may seem like a lot of questions for an experinced electrician. Since most of my experince is commerical I do have questions about resi stuff, keep in mind if this was a commerical hot tub it would be rigid all the way with stainless steel discos.

One other note, the customer lives in the sticks, really out in the sticks. The hot tub people will NOT hook it up, they gave her a list of some contractors to call, she called like 7 of them but none are intrested. Thats how I got involved.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#84709 04/27/03 05:33 PM
S
Outdoor hot tubs follow the same rules as wiring a swimming pool. Conduit has to be run back to the panel, a disconnect within sight at least 6ft away. GFCI protection and bonding as required.

She should use a licensed electrician and have it inspected by the AHJ.

#84710 04/27/03 10:29 PM
D
I am licensed.

My understanding with the customer is there is not much if any AHJ where she lives. I belive she lives in an unincorperated area.

The reason I ask about the disco
is the last sentence to section 680.41

I found one of those Hot Tub boxes which have the 50 Amp gfci breaker in them.
So that solves this problem, funny thing is that I need to get another breaker to feed it from the panel.

It will be run it in conduit. Was just asking if anyone had any tricks to protect it from the lawn mower.

I got a total of $750 so far in material and labor and that includes the trencher rental. That sound about right to hook up a 50 amp hot tub? Its a 50 feet trench to the house with another 50 feet to the panel in the attic.

#84711 04/27/03 11:14 PM
drillman,

The price sounds very reasonable and even a bit low to me. But aside from that, is the Tub there already? is it going to be on a platform, deck or concrete slab etc.? On some Tubs the conduit can even stub up directly into the area where the control panel is. That way you wouldn't have to worry about any Lawnmowers etc.

The Panel is in the Attic?

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 04-27-2003).]

Bill
#84712 04/27/03 11:16 PM
C
Why not use rigid to come out of the ground instead of trying to protect the PVC?

Curt Swartz
#84713 04/28/03 07:26 AM
R
Although 680.41 doesn't require an emergency switch, 680.12 requires a disconnecting means.
The NEC dictates the MINIMUM requirements for electrical installations. Usually we can do better at little more cost. And you should have it inspected.
BTW,

I'm sure she wasn't stunned at the cost of the hot tub, why is she looking for a "deal" to have it installed. Remember, she probably earns (and I use the term loosely) several times what you do. If she doesn't want to pay you to do it right, let her take her chance with the Yellow Pages.

(Do I sound bitter?) [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 04-28-2003).]

#84714 04/28/03 07:43 AM
D
The hot tub is already installed it is on some sort of brick pilings. I will stub up directly inside it therefore no problem with pipe damage.

The problem with pipe damage is on the wall of the house where the disco will be.

The panel is not in the attic, but it is inside about 30 feet away from where the tub is, hence the run in the attic after I get to the house. Would be nice if it was outside.

I am quite aware what she makes as a manager type person. As stated in my first post she lives in the sticks and cannot find a contractor to come out and even look at this.

More than likely I will use rigid from the disco down to the first 90 so it will not get broken.

Belive me, I wish there was an estimate from another contractor so I can compare.
In the past when offered side work I have told people to get a legit estimate first and then see if I can even save them anything. Most of the time I cannot. In fact most side work I have done is on the barter system.

I will look into having it inspected.

Thanks for all your help

#84715 04/29/03 06:59 AM
A
Disconnect needs to be at least 5 feet away and in sight.
General outlet needs to be installed more then 10 feet. Less than 20 feet away.
Pvc pipe needs to be 18 inches under ground.
Some tubs require there own ground rod.

#84716 04/29/03 07:21 AM
R
Interesting suggestion regarding the ground rod. I've heard of inspectors requiring this, but there is no NEC issue and I can't understand what the purpose would be.

#84717 04/29/03 10:16 PM
D
I did not get the job

she found a local guy to do it for half my price. He even has his own ditch witch so he will not need to rent it.

one of the pitfalls of doing side work.

Yes, I padded my bid a little. This being a connected person at my day job, I would have made sure she was happy, just was not going to lose my shirt on it.

Oh well alls well that ends well, I know more about hot tubs now.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Link Copied to Clipboard