ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 169 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Here in So CA, land of "sticks & stucco", these aren't considered to be fireblocks at all. The requirements for blocks are 3 from a corner, and 2 from an opening (door, window, etc). We're required to seal holes in exterior walls (for insulation reasons), but not interior, unless they're through the wall's top or bottom plate.
Since RX isn't rated for any firewall penetrations, I can't remember the issue of firecaulking around it ever coming up.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

N
A lot of times when we do a single family house, fire caulking is not enforced by the structural inspectors. When we do apartments it is always enforced. The electrical inspectors here do not look at fire caulking leaving it to the structural inspectors. This is because more than electricians make holes in framing.

ed
T
Well, so far, my neighbor was told "no fireblocking is needed at all" when he called to ask. The GC went in person and was told that it is needed, first floor only.

nesparky:
...more than electricians make holes in framing.

Yep. I believe (I may be wrong...) water pipes, especially heating/hot water pipes, need space around them to allow for expansion/contraction of the copper and to prevent noise from banging.

B
You might do a google search for “intumescent caulk”.

T
Man, there you go with that intumescent vocabulary!

L
Fire caulk (from what I've learned) is only required in holes that have been drilled from one unit to the next unit. Example: If you have an apartment, where you have someone living above you,and holes are drilled between floors,then you would have to fire caulk those holes made between units. Note: if the the floors in the unit are in the same dewelling (meaning: the aparment has and upstairs, and down stairs), then you would only use foam.

M
Here in Nevada we have these in all new homes. When we bore a hole in them we are also required to seal them. We can use intumescent caulk, or fiberglass from fiberglass insulation jammed in the holes, or regular cualk on both sides.

Mike Wescoatt
J
The International Building Code requires the holes in firestops to be sealed. It's usually done by the insulation compane.

I just came across the following while browsing the Michigan Rehab Code for Existing Buildings

109.3.4 Frame inspection. Framing inspections shall be made after the roof deck or sheathing, all framing, fire blocking and bracing are in place and pipes,
chimneys and vents to be concealed are complete and the rough electrical, plumbing, heating wires, pipes and ducts are approved.
Is this the procedure followed where you are?
I think that the Framing Inspection where I am is often done before any other Trades get in there. What is the norm?

Bill

Bill
N
Around here the framing inspector will not show up untill the electrical HVAC and plumbing inspectors have signed off thier rough ins. If called they look on the plans to see the rough in stickers (the Gc is required to have approved plans on job site), if they are not there the framing inspector red tags job as not ready for inspection and walks away and charges the GC with a re inspection fee.

ed
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard