ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 268 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#8456 03/22/02 09:23 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
Why is it Plumbers can ask ( and usually recieve) more per hour? As professional counterparts, we serve similar apprenticeships, drive similar vans full of widgets, work similar enviroments. There would seem a like supply ( & demand) of either trade.....

allbeit the one plumber once seen snaking out a mainline, but methinks he was an apprentice, or at very least a short straw draw [Linked Image]

#8457 03/22/02 09:42 PM
M
Your right, for some reason people think of electricity as the last item on their list of important things during construction. Howmany time have you seen a new addition with the best windows the best wood, a nice new shiny Pergo floor, & ct, but when it comes to the electric its the 52 cent receptacles and the 29 cent switches and of course its a Murray panel, and the bonding strap is still hanging on the screw as it was shipped.
Years ago I heard a saying by an old electrician, he said, " You do your own plumbing and whats the worst that can happen,... you flood your basement, but you do your own electrical work the worst that can happen is you can kill somebody, big difference".
It seems to be the pervailing opinion of home owners that its no big deal that the receptacles are warm to the touch or that a couple of cables in the are always warm, its only electricity. Or one of the best ones I have seen is the multi-wire circuit that is back-fed downstream, and you ask the home owner if he has done any remodelling lately, and of course the answer is no, not in 20 years but yet the back-fed breaker keep tripping ever since we turned on that switch over by the wall.
Just amazing aint it.
My favorite is though, the new construction job you get the new panel in an empty basement get it inspected so it can be turned on and get rid of the TP, and invariably the plumber comes along and either puts the hot water tank or a water softener tank 2 feet in front of your panel.
I have always heard that 110.26 was unoffically called, " Dont kill the Electrician".
-Mark-

#8458 03/22/02 09:44 PM
IMHO. Because people "see" the "effects" of good or bad plumbing more than they "see" the "effects" of good or bad electrical work.
People will "raise cain" about a leaky faucet, but if a receptacle is not working, they'll just get an extension cord. Man, I hate to make the above statement, but I honestly feel like it is true.
Antiplumbologically Yours,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
#8459 03/22/02 11:40 PM
F
When did you ever see the headline, "Toilet valve sticks killing family of 4 in their sleep"? But in this state plumbers need to pass state certification, get congressional approval and have a note from their mother to apply for a license. Electricians just need $75.00 and an insurance policy.

#8460 03/23/02 01:13 AM
J
There is no state test for your masters in IN?!?!

#8461 03/23/02 07:40 AM
F
There is no state licensing program for electricians in IN.

#8462 03/23/02 08:10 AM
E
Just finished up a kitchen remodel. Plumber comes in for the finish work, writes up a proposal on the spot, customer signs and gives a credit card number, work is done plumber is gone. Here is the best part. The work was install faucet, dishwasher, disposal, and an instant hot water maker, all of which the client supplied. The bill.....$777.00! This guy was there for 4 hours. Add one for travel, total 5 hour job. Material included the flex hoses and a couple shutoffs, $30.00 maybe. I saw the prpoposal when he left and what he did was price each job seperatly even though it was realy one job under the sink. I think I will try that...Ok lets see, $100 to wire the outlet, $43.00 to install the outlet, $21.00 install the cover, now the breaker thats gona run you about $155 installed..."get the hell out of my house" Dammit! Oh he also sold the people a "service Plan" $98.00 covers one trip out in the next year. Regular hours only, no materials, basic service call only.

#8463 03/23/02 09:11 AM
Tom Offline
I'd also like to know why pipefitters make more than plumbers. Also, does anyone know what a Millwright does, other than steal work from other trades?

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.

Link Copied to Clipboard