ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#84520 04/07/03 07:03 PM
C
ccdave Offline OP
Up comes another-
where does it say that a ground rod right beside a cold water bond on the water supply cancels the 2 seperate ground issues? I thought I had it right before.......

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

CCDave:
Could you be a little more specific please.
The "issue" with 2 ground rods is 250-56 ('99 NEC); unless testing & documentation that 1 rod is 25 ohms or less.

What's the rod have to do with the water pipe, before the meter??
John

John
C
ccdave Offline OP
I have contractor that is insisting that the rod beside the water pipe is wrong.That it should be by the panel in back and the water bond goes to the front where the supply comes in within 5ft.

S
The water bond and using the water pipe as a grounding electrode are two different issues. If your able to use the water pipe as a grounding electrode, then yes the connection is required to be within 5ft of where it enters the building and it must be supplemented with at least one additional ground rod. The 5 ft rule is good practice even if the cold water is not used as a gronding electrode. This way if a water pipe is cut or removed you do not lose your water bond and possibly grounding electrode.

N
As spyder said the ground rod and the water pipe are seperate issues. There is no requirement on where you locate the ground rod as long as it is installed correctly wired correctly and in a suitable location. It could be by the panel and usually is around here.
Where the water pipe comes in is a different subject.

ed
C
ccdave Offline OP
Actually after talking to him again he is saying that you cannot put the grd rod beside the water pipe, it must be by the panel sereratly?

R
The code does not specify the location of the ground rod. There is no reason either from an electrical standpoint or a code standpoint that a rod cannot be installed next to the metal water pipe.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)

Link Copied to Clipboard