ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
G
gserve Offline OP
Isn't there a code on the maximum height of a circuit breaker(OCP)in a panel? Also isn't there a code that the max height of main breaker be no more than 6.5'to the handle of the breaker in the up posistion?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

C
Maximum height is 2 meters or 6'6"

Peter
G
gserve Offline OP
Is this just for the main breaker or all circuit breakers? code article?

C
380-8. ('99 NEC) This rule applies to switches, and circuit breakers used as switches.

Peter
I'll see you and raise you one...inch.
NEC 404.8(A)('02) and 380-8 ('99) both say(Exceptions notwithstanding), it's 2.0m (6ft 7in)to the center of the operating handle when it's in its highest position.
It used to be 6ft 6in, but was changed when the NEC started including the metric measurements.

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 04-03-2003).]

G
gserve Offline OP
These breakers are not being used as switches. So if there not being used as switches is there still a max height? code reference please. Thanks

E
The only code reference (other than the ones cited for switches..) that I can find for your query is in 240.24. The overcurrent device has to be readily accessible..so this precludes requiring the use of ladders to reach the handle (exceptions exist, of course). I suppose that the defacto elevation requirements would be the same 6' 7" as for the switches, or breakers used as switches. After all, isn't someone eventually going to operate the breaker by hand?
The exceptions seem to hinge around the notion that it's ok to have the overcurrent device NOT readily accessible so long as there is a downstream overcurrent device for switching the load off line.

[This message has been edited by Elzappr (edited 04-03-2003).]

R
If this looks familiar, it's because I posted it somewhere else.

All refer to being readily accessible.

Accessible, Readily (Readily Accessible). Capable of being reached quickly for operation, renewal, or inspections, without requiring those to whom ready access is requisite to climb over or remove obstacles or to resort to portable ladders, chairs, etc.
I was reading the National Electrical Contractors Associations, book titled National Electrical Installation Standards, Good Workmanship in Electrical Contracting.

Article 11.3

Panelboards

Commercial. panel boards shall be 6ft 7inch above the finish floor.

Residential. ADAG compliance, in dwellings the highest overcurrent device is a maximum of 48 inchs above the finished floor.

Makes you wonder, doesn't it.

Russ

F
to russ m. :

now that is new one about adag about hight of 48" but i do understand about resideal and commercal panel board are set at 6'7" (2 meters) i been doing that for long time i use the international codes ( excuze my pun but i am orginally from france so please excuse my opion ok thanks ) and they are very simuiar to the NEC codes anyway. i am sure some of the sparky look at nec and NPFA and other codes i belive they are pretty close together with regulations but please corret me if i am worng. but the regulation can change fast

merci marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

R
marc:

I have to admit, I've never given much thought to the ADA height requirement in the typical home, when it comes to panel locations. There are alot of short or disabled people in this world who could not reach to operate a breaker at 6ft. 7in. Maybe I've never thought of it because many panels are in areas that require stairs be navigated. It's not much of an excuse but I can't think of anything else. In the future I will be more aware of the ADA height limits. I brought this up as a reminder for us all.

Russ

PS I've been infomed that the ADA side reach height is 54inchs not 48inchs

[This message has been edited by russ m (edited 04-05-2003).]

Link Copied to Clipboard