ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 526 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Well I don't know everything yet and I haven't seen everything yet, but here's a new "first".
From a 120/240 single phase, 3 wire panel, circuits one and three sharing the neutral, circuit one feeding the inside lamps, and circuit three feeding the outer ones. Maybe I'm not understanding something correctly but it seems like that arrangement could be hazardous if something should happen to the neutral.
What I've done so far is put everything on one circuit and recommend electronic ballasts for the ten existing fixtures so that everything will be the same as the five fixtures I am adding.
Then there will be a total of fifteen fixtures,each with four 32 watt lamps for a total of 1920 watts times 1.25 equals 2400, divided by 120v gives me 20. The wire is #12 THHN and I pulled ground wires into the flex whips which were all steel and 8-9' in length.
Did I handle this properly? What would anybody have done differently in this situation?

S
Don'tknow;
without gettin' the good book out, i believe you must size per ballast, not element.
( probably because people can change an element)
then you should use the 80% rule for totals as applied to circuits.
yes, a shared noodle can have it's drawbacks, not that it's a violation. There is the consideration of the electronic ballasts vs. regular ones, i think they create more harmonics....

[Linked Image]

Don'tknow,

If you're putting things on 1 circuit I would check with the owner/tenant to be sure that's OK. The arrangement they had with 2 circuits supplying would allow them to only turn on 1/2 the lamps if they wanted to thereby saving $$$.

Bill

Bill
G
Originally posted by dandy467d:
As with any flourescent or hid lamp, let them run for a few hours they will even out.

Most of the time that's true. Not always though. We recently completed a historical renovation of a county courthouse. As part of the renovation the flourescent lighting was demo'd and hid wall washers were installed. All of the 250w metal halide lamps were from the same manufacturer and the same type. The color differences were huge! Most were a nice white light....but many, probably %10-%15, were yellow. Very noticeable when they were mixed in the same room.

We rearranged the lamps so that the rooms were color matched then replaced the ones that we could not get to come out even.

All in all, a major hassle. Quality of materials seems to worse and worse as time goes on.....the obvious result when the job always goes to the low bid. Means we have to use low bid materials or not get the job.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard