ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#84144 03/12/03 08:51 AM
N
I have two questions that hopefully someone can answer.

I had an electrical contractor come in and install a new service from the triplex down to the a new service panel. The work looks great, but two issues.

One, The outside mounting box (where the globe is) is rated for 150 amps. The inside service panel is 200amps. Is this acceptable?

Also, the Interior service panel is mounted on a 3/4" plywood, that is then mounted directly to the hollow block concrete wall in the basement. There is no air gap between the wall and the plywood. Is this acceptable?

The code inspector is coming in a couple of days and I would like to make sure it is going to pass the firsttime through.

Like I said, the work looks great and I am glad to get rid of the 60amp Federal Pacific service that was in the home.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#84145 03/12/03 12:31 PM
R
As long as there's no moisture issues with the block wall and the plywood I don't see a problem. It's actually legal to put a service panel directly on a block wall as long as there's 1/4" of air space behind. That's why a lot of panels have small bumps on the back of them....to hold them off the wall. I wish I had my code book with me....I'm not sure about the 150/200 amp issue. Something doesn't seem right there.

RSlater,
RSmikey

#84146 03/12/03 12:48 PM
N
Thanks for the quick response.
I guess one out of two ain't bad for a stupid homeowner. I guess I am gonna have to scale down my main breaker or have them replace the meter box.

I was using 60 amp FPE, so I think 150 amp would be more than adequate.

#84147 03/12/03 04:49 PM
NJ Cowboy:
1st, welcome to ECN
I have never seen a 150 amp rated meter socket (enclosure/pan/hub). They are either 100 amp, or 200 amp usually, although GPU and PSE&G have "specisl" ones (240 amp rated; 300 allowed)

I looked at your profile, & I can't place your town. I think it's "south" by Vineland?. How did you determine the rating was 150 amps?? What brand is the meter socket? Am I correct that you have a 200 amp main circuit breaker panel installed, or is it a 150? What size service entrance conductors do you have??
John

John
#84148 03/12/03 10:35 PM
I'm with Hotline. I've never seen a 150 amp meter can. Actually, there is no such thing as a 200 amp panel. They are 225 amp rated bus with a 200 amp main. Heck, if you're worried about it, ask him to pull the 200 amp main out, and install a 150. By doing that, you open up other issues concerning how much load is on the house, etc. Though, I would be hard pressed to believe that a house that has an existing 60 amp service wouldn't run off of a 150 amp main, but I'm not the electrician on the job.
The person to ask, is the inspector (Authority Having Jurisdiction). Let him give you the "official" position.

Bulls and Blood, Dust and Mud,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
#84149 03/12/03 10:53 PM
F
that is very odd ball item and i never heard 150 amp meter socket at all i did check my catlog book to see the listing there were none listed for that size and most common size are 100 , 200 and class 320 socket ( basically a 400 amp socket 320 amps useable for home useage ) and commercal 600 class (bolted type ) for bigger one we use ct's but never 150 at all for 150 amp service i use the 200 socket and use 150 main breaker that how we classifed it .. the cost between 150 and 200 main breaker box is not much diffrence anyway

merci marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

#84150 03/12/03 10:59 PM
N
hotline1,
It must have been 100, I asked the electrician and he admitted his mistake and is coming tomorrow to put in a 200 before the inspector shows up.

I never realized the technicalities involved in this trade. Glad I stuck with computers.

Also, just to double check, for 200 amp service, I need two grounding rods 8' down, 6' apart and at least 2' from the exterior wall? They should be grounded with #4 solid copper? This grounds to the meter box. Should there be any ground inside the house to the box? All my pipes on the well are plastic. Does that need to be grounded? The box (Square D) was also bonded through the neutral bar to the box, is this a requirement or optional?

Lastly, is there any requirement for brackets supporting the service entrance cable? is there a minimum distance apart?

Thanks for a useful website.

Jason

#84151 03/12/03 11:01 PM
N
Sorry to bombard this site. I am going to run a seperate circuit just for my two bathroom outlets. Can Install a GFCI breaker instead of installing GFCI outlets in the bathroom? Is this still up to code by NEC standards?

Thanks

#84152 03/12/03 11:08 PM
W
Sure.

You might re-consider the breaker.
When you manage to trip the GFCI with the hair dryer, you will have to get dressed to some degree, leave the bathroom and run into an unexpected guest on your way to the breaker panel to reset the blasted thing with your still wet body and wonder why you just did that in your bare feet!

Or, You just sat down to a nice TV sports show and your mate trips the GFCI and says "Honey, that thingy did it again! Please fix it for meeeee..........!

Dave

Dave
#84153 03/12/03 11:10 PM
F
ok for the quick note for 200 amp service

yes you are required have 2 ground rods at least 8 ft long and spaced 6 foot apart and the ground wire have to be # 4 bare ( generally very common type)

most power companines generally not allow the ground wire to be attached at meter socket but the ground wire will go straght to breaker box

as for the main box the nuetual will be bonded and yes it is a mantory requirement

as far for service enternce cable what type of cable or have conduct above meter box ?? it will make a diffence depend on the area

the last thing about gfci in bathrooms yes you can use the gfci breakers it will meet nec codes but it will be inconveent when it do trip ya have to run down to breaker box to reset each time most of sparky here genrally use gfci repectale in bathroom

merci marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard