ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 466 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#84131 03/11/03 11:56 AM
I
I'm adding circuits to my garage and I'm running NM 12/2 from the panel. I'm using 3/4" PVC conduit(for the pairs of 12/2s) to come down the wall to similar boxes for GFCI outlets. I'm using the 1/2" conduit I already had on hand (for a single 12/2)to go between two boxes on the end of the one run. I've got bends at different places where pushing two 12/2s is hard. I have read not to use soap for lube and I live 1/2 hour away from any hardware store, so I didn't want to spend the time or money for a big bottle of pulling lube for a one or two tight pulls. I wanted to strip the sheathing back to where the NM starts down the pipe (leaving some in the pipe) and push just the conductors down, as suggested by someone on another related post. In the box to box run, I was going to strip all sheathing and push it through that way. I did residential wiring back in the early '90s, and I was only an apprentice at that, but never pulled anything through conduit. So I just wanted to make sure I wasn't breaking any rules by un-sheathing the romex. Thanks for your help!

ikauffma

[This message has been edited by ikauffma (edited 03-11-2003).]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#84132 03/11/03 04:45 PM
S
By unsheating the cable, you are basically doing single runs of thhn. Wouldn't it be easier to use thhn in the first place? I an not sure why you are running conduit? Is it all being done on the surface and not concealed? If so wouldn't EMT be better suited for this application?

#84133 03/11/03 05:42 PM
I
Spyder;

Thanks for replying! Yes, the new circuits are on the surface of block walls in my garage, hence the conduit. I haven't worked with conduit before, including EMT and the PVC stuff seemed like it would be easier to work with. The runs start out from the panel as romex, then go up onto a joist, then down the block wall in the PVC conduit. I didn't want to run conduit all the way back to the panel for the THHN ($$). I guess I'm blending two different things with the romex and conduit and just wanted to make sure I'm not breaking any rules by doing that.

Thanks!
ikauffma

[This message has been edited by ikauffma (edited 03-11-2003).]

#84134 03/12/03 11:19 AM
W
Art. 334.30 requires Nonmetallic sheath cable to be supported by staples, cable ties, straps, hangers or other fittings designed for the purpose, within 12 inches of every cabinet, box or fitting. Art. 334.15(B) requires the cable be in Schedule 80 if nonmetallic.

Link Copied to Clipboard