ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
wocolt Offline OP
does anyone have a definition of a Supplementary overcurrent protection/device ??????

Thanks in advance..

WOC

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
240-10 would suggest an internal/integral fuse/breaker in an appliance would be one.

Steve
G
I remember some metal halide light fixtures we replaced once that had fuses in the box with the ballast. Would that qualify?

W
wocolt Offline OP
Thanks for the help. It came up in article 240.24(E), under the heading of 'Location on Premises'.. specifically, in bathrooms.

Not Located in Bathrooms. Overcurrent protection devices ,OTHER THAN SUPPLEMENTAL OVERCURRENT PROTECTION, shall not be located in the bathrooms of dwelling units...
So my question what exactly qualifies as a supplemental overcurrent protection/device.
tanks in advance

WOC

B
ga.sparky — It’s worth noting that supplementary overcurrent protection has application in light fixtures to prevent one ballast fault taking out an entire branch circuit and plunging a critical area into darkness.

300V fuse designed for {120-277V} highbay and fluorescent lighting: http://www.bussmann.com/library/bifs/2033.PDF

Submersible fuseholder for use in subsurface {even flooded} applications for service continuity in outdoor area lighting: http://www.bussmann.com/library/bifs/2127.PDF

F
gasparky 56:

indeed i ran into alot of them with 277 volts with flourescent lamps especally with slimline units they have socd ( summentover curret device) and quite few of hids also have fuse on them espcally near full load on line and it also noted that on crictal lines it will have fuse there near ballast but i dont have the excat nec code numeber with me but genrally it is common practice and also outside parking lot lightfixure also have fuse too i just replace quite few of them not too long ago it came with 120/208 volts line 3 ph with 60 amp line with get this # 1 wire (copper !!)that the reason they put fuse on hevey loaded line ditto with city street light i see simuaur set up using same arrangement with parking lot lights too

merci marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

T
Supplemental Protectors are not intended to provide branch circuit protection and are limited to applications where branch circuit protection is already provided or is not required.

Supplemental Protectors, according to their scope of evaluation, are not evaluated for performance to provide branch circuit protection.

This consideration alters the content in the performance requirements and in general
would allow for more flexibility in the requirements than what would be allowed for a device being evaluated for branch circuit protection.

Look for the proper markings on Din-Rail Circuit Breakers to properly identify what is a Circuit Breaker and what is a supplementary protector.

Here are the CSA & UL Standards:

Branch Circuit Protection:
Products evaluated according to the UL 489 Standard for molded case circuit
breakers are listed for branch circuit protection. Branch circuit protection must be
provided for the conductors supplying utilization equipment in accordance with the NEC.

On OEM products, circuits exiting the control panel must be considered as branch circuits, as well as circuits supplying receptacles in the control panel.

The CSA (Canadian Standards Association) C22.2 No. 5.1 standard closely corresponds to UL 489. Products evaluated according to this CSA standard are intended to protect branch circuits in accordance with the Canadian Electrical Code
(CEC).

Branch Circuit Protection for DC:

UL 489A corresponds to requirements "covering single-pole or multi-pole DC circuit-breakers intended for use as branch circuit overcurrent and short-circuit protection in communications equipment."

Supplementary Protection within the Equipment:
Products evaluated according to UL 1077 Standard for supplementary protectors are recognized components which carry conditions of acceptability and therefore have limited application without further investigation by the certification organization listing the final product.

Supplementary protectors are used to protect specific loads more closely rated to the utilization equipment. OEM products may use
these devices for protecting sensitive electronic equipment or other equipment that requires unique or specific overcurrent protection.

A UL 1077 Recognized supplementary protector is not a substitute for a branch circuit overcurrent protective device listed to UL 489.

UL 1077 Recognized products must be used in conjunction with branch circuit protection when
wiring connected to the supplementary protector exits the equipment to external devices such as receptacles or motors.

The CSA C22.2 No. 235 Standard is equivalent to the UL 1077 Standard.

Tony Moscioni
Electrical Inspector
Electrical Safety Authority

wocolt,
240.24(E) Is what allows you to put GFI receptacles in the bathroom. Just think. If it wasn't for 240.24(E), we would have to install GFCI breakers because all overcurrent devices would have to be located in the panel. Anyway, just a thought.

Regards,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
I
I do not believe a GFCI receptacle is an OCPD.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
W
240.24(E) Is what allows you to put GFI receptacles

GFCI's are not over current devices!

Supplementary protectors are used to protect specific loads more closely rated to the utilization equipment. OEM products may use
these devices for protecting sensitive electronic equipment or other equipment that requires unique or specific overcurrent protection.

Exactly! This basicly says "no breaker or fuse panels in bathrooms.

Dave

Dave
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard