ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 233 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
OK, I removed the statement.

You should edit your posts too, and when I get home I will search for that information.

I have received an email from a very well known instructor who said the following:

"Hi Joe:

I tell people that the grounding electrode conductor (GEC) can be "bare, or any color but green, white, green/yellow or orange" in my PV power systems and the NEC presentations that I make to electrical inspectors and electricians and PV professionals. Most use bare with black as a distant second choice.

I do not favor a new color as it will be hard to get in many locations and will take years to educate and implement."

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
I'm with txsparky. Where ahj's are involved around here,green on anything to do with the gec or bonding is the norm.

I
Posted by Joe
I have received an email from a very well known instructor who said the following:

"Hi Joe:

I tell people that the grounding electrode conductor (GEC) can be "bare, or any color but green, white, green/yellow or orange" in my PV power systems and the NEC presentations that I make to electrical inspectors and electricians and PV professionals. Most use bare with black as a distant second choice.

I do not favor a new color as it will be hard to get in many locations and will take years to educate and implement."

You always tell us to ask inspectors for code cites, so I ask you where are the very well known instructors code cites?

Even if we know that something is the CMPs intent if it did not make it in to the code book is it enforceable?

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
iwire:

No, but the panel statement for the rejection is often used by instructors to explain the CMP's position.

See the following set of specifications for grounding by those who want to avoid confusion in the design of their buildings:
www.va.gov/facmgt/standard/spec/16450.doc

Note: the term "bare" for is required for the GEC, etc.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 03-10-2003).]

http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?...=section+16450+electrical+specifications

Please look at the links here for grounding specifications and find where they use a color for the GEC.

I will look too, and I believe that most call for "bare" to be used.

T
Joe,
I looked through the links that you provided and agree that some engineers seem to spec a bare wire for the GEC. However,I thought this discussion was about whether or not the NEC prohibited green to identify the GEC.Just because an engineer specs bare wire has no bearing on the discussion and certainly doesn't make it a code rule.

Donnie
With all due respect I do not see where CMP comments, intent, or knowledge of the code making process is relevant here.

If the discussion is about what is written in the code the answer should be indisputable. (I believe that most of us can read quite well) If the code is wrong, or failed to convey the intent of the CMP that is another story entirely.

Bill

Bill
Aw man, even my bare GECs end up turning green anyway...

Almost like they know what color to be...

[Linked Image]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
S
I'd be asking for a code ref should stripping long runs of 1/0 GEC bare be desired

P
Joe,
I admit to having no knowledge of the way in which the code panels come to their decisions, and I'm sure that you were already aware that although I have worked in the U.S.A. it was not in a field which required knowledge of the NEC. That's why I started my post the way I did.....

However, surely the original question was whether using green for the GEC is a violation of the (2002) NEC, as published.

If an AHJ adopts the NEC, surely they do so only on the basis of what is written in the publication? (Plus any written amendments they have the authority to make.)

Can an inspector working strictly to the NEC cite a violation on the basis of what he believes the panel meant to say, or what he thinks they should have said? Surely he can only pass or fail on the basis of what is actually written in the rules? I seem to recall several discussions to this effect in the past.

Like many of the other posters in this thread, I just don't see any way to interpret the specific codes you cited as prohibiting the use of green for a GEC.

If I'm missing something or there is another section I should be reading which could in some way modify 250.119 et al, then please point me toward it -- I am trying to study sections of the NEC as and when I get the chance in order to learn more! [Linked Image]

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard