ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Is the public being treated fairly when an electrical inspection agency (non-city) does the inspections in certain areas?

I am aware of customers who use other agencies because they were not as strict!

Is this true in your area?

One case comes to mind and it deals with 300.4(D) and 300.23 in the 2002 NEC.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

E
Joe, I've done inspections for real estate people, and after seeing my laundry list of needed repairs, I'd never hear from them again. When inspecting for prospective buyers, I am free to open boxes and snoop around as much as I have to in order to get a clear understanding of the quality of the electrical installation. Yet, city or county inspectors don't have time, nor permission, to snoop so thoroughly. I think third party inspections can be more thorough.

But it all depends on who is paying the bill. Its always a money/time thing.

As far as particular parts of the code are concerned, I think that an inspector that is going to enforce things in a certain area for a long time will try to attend to things which will cause problems down the line..as in the case of the two articles you mentioned. If someone is just doing a bit of short-order inspection fill-in, they might want to make it profitable instead of thorough. We don't have any regular inspections done that way here in my area of Oregon. Like I mentioned, it might be done for real estate transactions, or for temporary contracts to fill in for an inspector who is ill, or on vacation, or overloaded with work, but not as a regular "third party inspection service" like you are referring to.

[This message has been edited by Elzappr (edited 02-22-2003).]

H
Joe,

Here in NJ sometimes the third party people get a lot of territory to cover. They might get 5-10 inspections but the might have to travel several counties to get from one to the next inspection. That sometimes leads to fast inspections and sometimes things can get missed. I myself am not pro nor anti 3rd party. My good friend (crazy joe) is still a third party man. Also remember here in NJ the towns make the homeowner/contractor pay for inspection under the construction permit. Plus there is only one fee. That pays for as many inspections as needed in order to get the job passed. I have been out 3-4 and more times to try and get a job in order to be able to pass final inspection.

S
what is the difference in tax dollar $$$$$$$ or 3rd party $$$$$$$$ ????

why would the govermental inspection community begrudge privitization when they cannot possibly do the job in any equitable sense now?

what are we saying here Joe?

unfuzz me!

I think Harold gets the picture. He makes it even clearer for us. I was talking about competition between agencies.

Are there local electrical inspectors in Vermont?

If so, can you give me an address of the largest job still under, or close to completion?

I'll take a ride someday and have a look see to see the quality of inspection, and I am sure it will be up to snuff if they inspect like they write their rules up there!

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
S
I am unaware of any other 'electrical inspectors', other than HI's here.
The state of Vermont at best creates a paper chase and insufficent manpower to back it up.

The biggest and most likely closest job here will be the upcomming Brattleboro parking garage, which may actually garner appropriate attention.

To imply the notion of competition amongst AHJ's in my mind is analogous to procrastinating over filet mignon or prime rib in the presence of Ethiopians

I
We have very large job going at a college in VT, Burlington area I think I have not been there yet I think we got at least a year left on it. I can get an address if you want.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
H
Joe,

Let me add 2 more cents here. In the goverment or in the third party inspectors there are good inspectors and the not so good. Just like in any other trade.

Joe:
Harold said most of it. There are "good" and "bad". No flames, no throwing rocks.

Elzapper:
What Joe is refering to is an inspection company that has a contract with some municipalities (here in NJ, and perhaps elsewhere) to perform various building inspections. (Electrical, Plumbing, Fire, Elevator, Mechanical) These agencies employ licensed inspectors, and the inspections are performed under a contract. He is not refering to "Home inspections", just work performed under a permit.

AS Harold ststed, the 3rd party guys can be "overloaded", as also the town guys.

PS, I'm a EC, and a PT AHJ, so I see both sides of the fence.
John

John
C
I was going to rant, but decided to say this:
There is a third party inspector around these parts that is a EE, a PE, and certified inspector, and doesn't know his *** from a hole in the ground. I have complained to the city, to no avail.

I have no problem with third party inspectors with the exception of this one.

And if I ever see him again...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard