ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 298 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
An older sparky that was my leadman on commercial jobs years ago would rap me on the hardhat and say " You make shore you use them reddevils boy".Old habits would be hard to break. Russell

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

C
I'm with you Russell, taught the same way, but, I have to laugh when a journeyman shows an apprentice how to install them with the sharp edge (from a "roto-split") exposed through the split in the bushing. (and thinks this is OK)

Broom Pusher and
iwire:

Shear Panel refers to the plywood installed on an interior wall. Call them "Shear Walls".

Shear Walls are perpendicular to long walls. When a building is a long rectangle, there needs to be some support on
the "shorter" wall segments, in order to achieve a more stable frame.

The Shear Panel is load bearing, so it should not be crippled in any way - such as randomly cutting out segments of
plywood, like what Electure (Scott) was describing.

Electure:

That sounds like a lot of fun (please invert to not-fun!). Must have made the Framing Inspector a little ticked off?

Scott35 S.E.T.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
I've always used them. The only problem I've had is the plastic "tape" inside. I would use that tape to "hitch" the bushing in place. It wouldn't take much to cause that bushing to fall out. The solution was found in a short piece of tie wire. I would slip about 4" of a 10" piece of tie wire into the end of the MC, and secure the bushing by winding the tie wire around the MC just like when using type AC cable. It really works well, and there is no harm done to the insulation. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Regards,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
I
Scott35, Thanks I got it now, I was thinking something electrical not structural.
Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
J
I was taught that tape could be used as an alternative to the bushings (push down jacket, tape wire, pull up jacket, continue tape around jacket).
I was also taught to use tape to hold the bushings in place.
In this matter, I treat MC and AC the same. Indeed, I sometimes wonder why the code differentiates between the to, and why AC is still made,

E
Just to be sure I've got this right...can I use those 2-screw connectors with the ring opening without the anti-short bushing? It seems to me that it would be ok, especially if the plastic sheathing passes through the opening, but I would prefer to use the MC connectors that have the red plastic ring opening, so that any wire bent against the opening won't short out.

Anyone accidently set a screw clamp down in the MC connector...only to find out that the clamp plate was missing, and the screw just punctured the MC armor? I had to go back to fix someone else's screw-up like that, and it was no fun.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard