ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#83763 02/20/03 11:36 PM
S
Can anyone tell me were in the 2002 Code book
that says something to do about nicking the wire. Thanks

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#83764 02/21/03 03:21 AM
E
Well, you might start with 110.14(A), which prohibits damaging the conductors at a terminal connection. You 've got to keep in mind that the code provides necessary provisions (90.1)for "practical safeguarding of persons and property from hazards arising from the use of electricity."
My point here is that the wire nicks have to be bad enough to really count! Consider how much damage occurs when someone wire-brushes an aluminum conductor prior to putting on oxide inhibitor compound--I don't recall any installation instruction saying that I have to wire-brush lengthwise with the conductor. If I brush across the conductor, chances are pretty good that I will nick strands of that conductor. But, there might be some general statement in the installation instructions for the listed termination device to the effect that you can't nick or damage the wires while preparing them for termination. Just to add further complexity to a simple query, there might be a technical distinction between nicking a wire, and scratching it. A nick will leave a sharp cut across the strand that will fracture readily, while a scratch would possibly leave a smoother notch across the strand -- increasing resistance -- yet not necessarily creating a fracture zone as readily as a nick would.

#83765 02/25/03 01:50 AM
S
Any damage to wire insulation will lower the ampacity of that conductor to a level that could be dangerous.

Replace any nicked wire.

Link Copied to Clipboard