ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 271 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#83702 02/17/03 01:00 AM
G
I know that some breakers will"fit" in other panels of other manufacturers.How would I find out if a particular breaker was listed for use in a given panel? I'm refering to residential loadcenters.I'll confess and say that in the past I've been guilty of using what seemed to fit and work well.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#83703 02/17/03 01:41 AM
T
Although some brands of breakers will fit other brand panels,the label on the panel from the manufacturer lists what type of breakers may be used.We are to follow manufacturers instructions.(There won't be one of their competitors breakers on that label)

Donnie
#83704 02/17/03 02:23 AM
F
ga.sparky56

bonsoir :

indeed i see the same situation and one thing that most panelbox breaker i use other manfactuers breaker it will fit but one instering part if i recall it right that the warrnty wont cover it if case malfunction or damaged! i see few store (d.i.y) stores like home depot and few other store did list the breaker can fit in other box and i am not too crazy with that to use other breaker unless very good reason to do that and i know sometime inspecter will voitated that part and other reason i am very carefull selecting breaker due main breaker aic rating too that will affect the breaker performace too

merci marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

#83705 02/17/03 02:43 PM
G
UL lists breakers that are approved for use in panels. They include breakers from other manufacturers.

I expect that any breaker that fits COULD pass the UL tests. It is only economics that determine if a breakers has been tested in a specific panel.

Aside from the fact that you are not allowed to void a warantee based on who's breakers are used ....

#83706 02/17/03 05:35 PM
I
I have a Single pole 20 amp breaker in my hand that is made by Thomas & Betts it has a tag on one whole side that UL lists the breaker in Murray, Westinghouse, General Electric, Challenger and Thomas & Betts Panels

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#83707 02/17/03 05:53 PM
C
Bob

I have seen the T&B breakers on display in the supply houses but never really looked at them. Does it say that they are UL LISTED or UL CLASSIFIED for use in the various manufactures of loadcenters? Most inspectors in my area will not accept UL classified products. If the label in the panel/loadcenter does not list another manufactures breaker you can't use it. Same goes for recessed lights. I frequently receive catalogs in the mail for recessed trims that are UL classified for us with Halo, Juno, etc but the inspectors will not accept them unless they are included on the label of the housing.

Curt

Curt Swartz
#83708 02/17/03 06:09 PM
I
Curt,
This breaker is "Listed" with a note that it's short circuit current is 10kA and do not install it in the listed panels if they have more then 10kA available.

You, Me and the Inspector are going to need a magnifying glass to read all the panel model numbers listed on the side, I would say 50 to 75 different panel model numbers.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#83709 02/17/03 06:16 PM
C
Thanks Bob, I'll have to look at one next time I'm at the supply house. I'm still not sure if our inspectors would accept them since they are not included on the loadcenter label but I will bring this up with one of the electrical inspector supervisors next time I see them.

Curt

[This message has been edited by caselec (edited 02-17-2003).]

Curt Swartz
#83710 02/17/03 10:36 PM
H
This seems like another of those problems that keep on popping up. Many times I have seen the argument about listing of breakers. I do know that Cutler Hammer bought out, Bryant, and Challenger and Westinghouse. I also have a letter from Cutler Hammer (C-H) that says, UL has contacted to advise electrical inspectors and others regarding the suitability of it's residential breakers. For the most part the C-H breakers can fit into most Challenger, Bryant or Westinghouse panels. I am not sure about ITE or Murray. I think those two companies merged. So a Murray should be allowed in an ITE. GE and Square D are still seperate. There is an exception. ( Isn't there always.) ITE makes a breaker that fits Square D. It is a 20 amp. breaker.

#83711 02/17/03 11:10 PM
G
I've never been called on this by an ahj.My concern is to be as correct and code compliant as possible. Russell

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard