ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Train, the only time I ever saw anything like this, they drilled the wall and put in rebar, and made a sort of rebar cage. Then formed it and poured concrete in.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
so how far does the wireway extend here?

Sparky:
A pure guess; judging by the eyeball of experience, I would venture 3 to 4 feet of conduit.
John

John
G
Joe, have you ever seen this in a residental setting that was quite a distance inside the building?

[This message has been edited by ga.sparky56 (edited 02-11-2003).]

E
When working for a utility who did not install code sized cables, I required the electrical contractor to install the point of service termination within 18 inches of where it entered the building. IE: If the service conduits entered thru the floor, the bottom of the termination was supposed to be within 18 inches of the floor. Often times the contractor installed it wherever he pleased and the inspector signed it off anyway.
bob

No, I have never have seen this until this image was proivided, and at Joe McPartland's seminar in the 70's.

The reference in the code seems clear. Is there a problem with the rule, and its application?

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
S
Would'nt it also apply to every raceway service entrance ?

please explain.

I
Posted by George

I don't think concrete should make us believe that the conductors are outside of the house. A drywall wrapping would appear equivalent.

What do you mean, would you not accept this if it went 100 feet?

I would say it would be code compliant.

I agree with Train Wire it would be good to know if that block of concrete is dowelled to the wall or hanging on the die cast connector.

In the installation I was involved with the carpenters supported the concrete

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
G
I was just curious about how common this was. And how much Joe as an inspector,had dealt with it.I know that I've only seen it done the one time.

B
I believe one of McPartland’s pictures was of a conduit with 4160V feeding a roof-mounted unit substation. It had been “concrete” encased through the building interior, {maybe for 25 feet} but the “concrete” had been mixed with Vermiculite, so was just about worthless from a mechanical protection standpoint. The recipe for the suspended-in-place concrete had been listed some obscure document, so the inspector had to accept it as installed.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard