ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
<threadjack in progress>

I have had only one of six different inspectors NOT retighten and "check" my terminals...

Seriously, in their defense...

The NORM here is:

"My aunt Bessies' cousin's nephew knows somebody who used to work in the mines and they told me how to do it over the phone..."

Inspector's actually need to check...

Only the Lord above knows what those guys see every day. It would make us cringe. Someday I'll be an inspector too and I'll post pics... [Linked Image]

One inspector routinely kept and used Penetrox oxygen-inhibitor on his inspections in lieu of any, rather than fail them.

Most of this ludicrosity is under the guise of kindness.

On this same service, the inspector asked me if I had mated 3-1/2" sched 80 with 3" sched 40. I proceded to explain exatly what I installed, and he pointed out that it was loose. (He had been there 1/2 hour before I got there).

It was 3" 80 sweep into the 3" 80 riser that he was speaking of, which would have been illegal with 40, let alone with different sized pipe. What had happened was that the blocks supporting the weight of the lateral pipe had shifted when the backfill was dumped in (by the GCs new dump truck, I'm sure) and the glue joint completely seperated.

He should have failed the inspection, but alas, I've never failed a service inspection.

(Joe woulda had his finger in my face and told me to do 20 push-ups!)

[Linked Image]

</threadjack>

Sorry Elec_Va... Welcome aboard!

(Well, ya did ask for horror stories...)

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 02-06-2003).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

H
As an inspector, I would not touch anybody's work. It wouldn't be fair to them or to myself. Each contractor/homeowner should be responsible for their own work. That goes for existing violations. After all if I touch it, then I become responsible for it. I don't believe that I can fail you for work that you didn't do. I WOULD make a point of telling the homeowner that I saw a violation that was pre-existing, and I would love it if the homeowner would get it fixed right away, while the contractor is still on the job site.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard