ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
With this rule in mind:

310.15 (2) Adjustment Factors.

(b) More Than One Conduit, Tube, or Raceway

Spacing between conduits, tubing, or raceways shall be maintained.

How do you determine the proper spacing?

When laying out the conduit, or tubing entries into a gutter, or trough what's the easiest and best way to make sure the holes are spaced apart properly to allow locknuts and or bonding bushings to be used?

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

I
If I am pressed for space I simply use the biggest component (pressure connector, hub or bonding bushing.) and lay them out right where they are going and push them around till it looks good.

You end up with 3/4" to 1" between pipes, unless using hubs, this close together supports get tough.

Straps are out, Minnis are tough and strut clips must go in before pipe, no room to twist clips.

Am I violating 310.15 (2)?

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
E
Ditto for me,iwire.
I try to space the conduits for whatever is required for inserting the straps after the fact.
What is the purpose for the code reference, Joe? Was that rule made so that things would be neat and tidy, and assure that conduits are actually SPACED for proper ventilation? Or was it done in order to make sure that all conduit entries are facing boxes perpendicularly? How is this rule enforced in practice? Do you see inspectors reserving it for obvious screwed-up cases? Or do you find that inspectors call it every time they see un-even racks? I certainly haven't run into ANY inspectors mentioning it in any re-model or retro-fit jobs I've been on - the places where you frequently find such violations committed by maintenance people(presumably)jamming another 1/2 or 3/4 in an existing rack.

[This message has been edited by Elzappr (edited 02-04-2003).]

R
NECA's National Electrical Installation Standards #1-2000 (titled "Good Workmanship in Electrical Contracting")has a table that shows spacing for various size conduits. I can't print the table, but it states that these dimensions will allow 1/4" between locknuts.

E
I agree with iwire. I take all the penetrations that I know of and just lay it out depending on the size of the conduit and where it is coming from and the largest part of the connector. Then I try to leave as much room as possible for new pipe. You always need to run it, it seems [Linked Image]

Pete
Redsy was kind enough to take time out of his busy schedule to send this in for us to review:

[Linked Image]

Note: I used the 310 reference only as a way to get to a rule that was related.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 02-05-2003).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
E
I use to use the lock-nuts and space them out on top of the panel. I saw the Marksman tool in one of the magazines and bought one. It gives perfect spacing any size to any size with 7/8" spacing for tight work or 1 1/8" spacing for places where a lot of retrofit work is done. It also spaces the center of conduit from the wall allowing for 7/8" or 1 5/8" strut. THIS TOOL IS AWESOME!

N

ed

Link Copied to Clipboard