ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Joe,

I use to use the Yellow, Red, etc wire nuts when I was in business and I always pre-twisted them myself. I have seen too many times where a splice works loose when I didn't twist them. I know that it wasn't required with the wirenuts but I felt better twisting them.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

E
The first foreman I ever had yelled at me for not twisting my wires in a splice and I agree (at least now). When you're taking apart something hot you don't want a hot wire popping out and doing god knows what. Three or four twists on a pair of Kleins takes care of any loose wire problem.

Pete
C
I prefer the yellow and red 3M rangers but also use the Ideal tan Twisters. I use orange wire nuts for fixtures and dimmers. Grey and blues as needed. The Wago push-in connectors work great for ballast changes. I do not pre-twist but tighten my connectors enough to twist the wires. If you were to remove one of my connectors you would think I pre-twisted the wires. I gave up twisting connectors by hand several years ago. I either use a hand driver that looks like a "speed" screw driver or use an adapter in the cordless drill. The 7.2V Makita drills work great for this and for installing devices. I do not tape my connectors. I will also add that standard practice in my area is to pigtail everything.

Curt

Curt Swartz
N
I use red,yellow and tan 90% of the time. Large grey or blues as needed. Small blues oranges or blacks for florescent luminares are used often. I pretwist all my splices. Pigtailing is a local code requirement. Rarely have had a splice fail because I test them before the a tucked into the box. It may not be the fastest way to do this but I have secure splices. I only use tape if the splice will be in a wet or high possibility of condensation area.

ed
T
Scott:

The carpal tunnel is the reason I use the scewdriver. My wrists can't take a multi twist day.

TW

T
Somebody asked about how many wires per connector, etc. Buchanan lists the following color code with theirs:

Code
Buchanan Wire Connectors

Red
2 or 3 #10 AWG
2 to 5 #12 AWG
2 to 6 #14 AWG
4 to 6 #16 AWG
6      #18 AWG

Yellow
1      #10 AWG
1 to 3 #12 AWG
1 to 3 #14 AWG
2 to 4 #16 AWG
2 to 4 #18 AWG

[This message has been edited by ThinkGood (edited 02-05-2003).]

G
Irecently ran across a type of splice in a switchbox that I had never seen before. The house was about 40 or so years old. The splices were made with crimp sleeves and rubber splice caps. The crimp sleeve was crimped twice along it's length and it appeared to have had pressure from 4 sides at once on each crimp. Hope this is not straying from the subject but I'm curious,can anyone shed any light on this? Btw the switch had failed not the splice.

S
Gasparky, check this link for the connectors and scroll down for the tool. http://www.idealindustries.com/IDEA...p+Connectors+and+Insulators?OpenDocument

Steve
G
Thanks for the link stamcon. This was exactly the type of crimp I saw.These seem to make a very very solid connection.

T
Yup, that's the one I refered to earlier in this thread. I really like them. Especially good for ceiling fans where I have seen wire nuts come loose from vibration!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard