ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
The rules and regulations in the State of New Hampshire as they relate to the subject at hand:

TITLE XXX
OCCUPATIONS AND PROFESSIONS
CHAPTER 319-C
ELECTRICIANS

Section 319-C:5

319-C:5 Inspectors. –

I. The state fire marshal, with the advice and consent of the board, shall be empowered to appoint such inspectors as may be necessary to carry out the purposes of this chapter.

Any person so employed shall be located in the office of the state fire marshal and under the administration and supervisory direction of the state fire marshal.

II. An inspector appointed under this section shall have authority to enter any premises in which an electrical installation subject to rules adopted under RSA 319-C:6-a is being installed, replaced or repaired for the purpose of making such inspection as is necessary to carry out his responsibilities under this section.

III. The inspector may order the removal or correction of any violation of any rule adopted under RSA 319-C:6-a, and may order any public utility furnishing electricity to such installation to disconnect the same until the violations are corrected.

IV. Whenever an inspector orders the removal or correction of a violation under paragraph III, he shall immediately notify the local building inspection department or administrative authority of the town where the violation is located, and further order that all work related to correction of the violation be discontinued.

The local building authority shall approve the continuation of work on the installation upon being satisfied that any violations have been corrected and shall notify the inspector of such approval.

Source. 1975, 485:1. 1981, 356:7, eff. July 1, 1981.
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/indexes/319-c.html

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 01-29-2003).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

L
RSA 319-C:5 II. An inspector appointed under this section shall have authority to enter any premises in which an electrical installation subject to rules adopted under RSA 319-C:6-a is being installed, replaced or repaired for the purpose of making such inspection as is necessary to carry out his responsibilities under this section.

I agree.
I do not oppose the inspection of premises where electrical work is being performed to ensure compliance with codes applicable at the time of installation. The consent to inspection is implied in a permit or by the act of engaging in the work.

What I oppose:
The authority of a code enforcement officer being able to enter my home without either: my express permission(consent) or a warrant(requiring probable cause). This is required of police officers. AHJ mandated inspections of existing installations would violate this. (4th ammendment)
The very distinct possibility that inspections under NFPA 73 will result in the wrongful application and/or enforcement of current electrical codes to premises built or electrical work performed prior to their adoption.(ex post facto)

What I fear:
The flooring safety inspector requiring me to replace my plank entry floor because it doesn't meet traction requirements under RSA 2144568-9999 non-slip foyer flooring for residences.
The refrigerator inspector requiring me to repair or replace my refrigerator under RSA 8675309 because the meat compartment is more than 3 degrees above the maximum allowable temperature of 44 degrees.

In the home, slip and fall(9000 deaths in 2001), and food poisioning(11,500 deaths in 2001) are the two leading causes of accidental death according to National Safety Council statistics. http://www.nsc.org/library/rept2000.htm
Each are responsible for many more deaths annually than electrical fires (38,300 fires with 284 deaths in 1998 per NFPA), of which the NFPA estimates approximately one third were caused by fixed wiring. http://www.nfpa.org/Research/NFPAFactSheets/Electrical/electrical.asp

I strongly advocate safety at home and in the workplace. I have 5 smoke detectors and a carbon monoxide detector hardwired with battery backup to safeguard my family.
I am urgently trying to convince one of my employers to comply with OSHA 29CFR1910.269 - NFPA 70E-2000 regarding arc flash PPE.
I will support all voluntary efforts to educate the public about electrical and fire safety, including INVITING the electrical inspector or a qualified electrical/fire safety person to inspect their home.

But I just don't want the G-Men pushing down my door.

Len

S
great post Len

G
Len's fears are my fears. I would rather see existing ordinances enforced, or better yet,in locales where there is no inspection/enforcement, that something be put in place. As sparky said nothing at all can be as bad as too much.I have nothing but respect for Joe T.and his demands for safe,code compliant electrical work.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard