ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#83304 01/29/03 12:03 PM
C
n1ist:
look at the ROP's, there are proposals to install these in other branch circuits in residences as well. (they have been rejected, so far)

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#83305 01/29/03 07:28 PM
E
The AFCI issue aside...IMHO, the "if it saves one life" arguement is usually a dead giveaway that what follows is either a bad idea or not supported by fact.

Isn't it worth spending 50 million dollars if it can save one life?

NO, it isn't! By spending 50 mil to TRY to save one life you are killing hundreds or thousands of people who could have been saved if the money had been better spent, perhaps on heart disease tests, or mamograms, or colon cancer screenings, or food and shelter, or free electricity in the hot months, or hiring more cops or 911 dispatchers.

Shouldn't we put 16 inches of rubber and foam around every telephone pole? If it would save just one life... Wouldn't YOU feel bad if your sister died because she slammed into an unsafe pole?

Shouldn't we eliminate gun ownership...

Lets raise the driving age to 18 or 21 or 30. If it would save only one life it would be worth it.

Shouldn't every electrical panel have a child-proof anti-tampering mechanism on it? Shouldn't you be required to install one? (shoot me now!)

Shouldn't our common household plugs be scrapped for one that is inherently shock-proof? If it would save just one life...

Who here has a defibulator on their work trucks? Why not? Too cheap to save a life?

In the AFCI case; wouldn't an older house be safer if instead of installing AFCIs you spent an equal amount of billable time inspecting each existing splice box for poor connections, checking old outlets, plugs, wiring and sockets for damaged insulation or improper use?

Shouldn't CPR training be mandatory for people in the elctrical trades?

'still not arguing against ACFIs, just tossing more fuel on this fire! (er, I mean, food for thought...yeah, that's the ticket)

#83306 01/29/03 10:11 PM
T
Let the flames err..games begin [Linked Image]
[Linked Image from pages.sbcglobal.net]
<texsparky getting lawnchairs,cooler and hot dogs ready>

Isn't it worth spending 50 million dollars if it can save one life?
How would you answer that if it were one of your family members?Would it be a hard decision?

This is who started it...Let's get em!! http://www.mikeholt.com/news/archiv...uirements_f or_AFCI_began_07-31-2002.htm

[This message has been edited by txsparky (edited 01-29-2003).]

Donnie
#83307 01/30/03 07:42 AM
S
The Commission estimates that in 1990 there were 42,000 fires involving home electrical wiring, resulting in 340 deaths, 1,370 injuries, and $569 million in property losses. The total annual cost to society was approximately $1.3 billion.

my bold to indicate key wordage...

NO, it isn't! By spending 50 mil to TRY to save one life you are killing hundreds or thousands of people who could have been saved if the money had been better spent, perhaps on heart disease tests, or mamograms, or colon cancer screenings, or food and shelter, or free electricity in the hot months, or hiring more cops or 911 dispatchers.

Or perhaps......Real Electrical Inspections by Real Electrical Inspectors!

(what a novel idea!) [Linked Image]

50 mil of that would 'buy' a lot of safety IMO.....but hey, no corporation would profitright??

#83308 01/30/03 10:41 AM
R
Sparky,
Based on the stated fact that 85% of the electrical fires that were investigated occurred in homes at least 20 years old, the fact that AFCIs are only expected to prevent 50% of the electrical fires on the circuits that they protect, and the number of new homes constructed each year, we can expect that in the first year of full compliance with the AFCI rule to prevent 15 fires or 0.036% of the 42,000 estimated fires. The 100 million dollar plus investment to install these AFCIs would be expected to save 0.12 lives, prevent 0.48 injuries and save $210,000 of property in the first year!!!
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
#83309 01/31/03 03:42 AM
N
As I see it snake oil sales men neesed a new product to peddle. So they took a good idea, did maybe 1/3/to1/2 the work needed to truly make a good product. Then went to work forcing us to buy thier unperfected produt. The want the profits and commisions. I have nothig against a fair profit or a sales man getting a fair comission. But when they shove something down our throuts with a bunch of HYPE and abuse a good system of code making to do it- they have a lot to hide. What it is and how well thse latest pieces of snake oil will work remains to be seen.
BTW every time I have thrown away an AFCI that was continually tripping, I spent -and was paid for- a least 2 hours of troubleshooting time. If a circuit will pass a megger test and has nothing miswired and still trips an AFGI but not a GFI breaker, then it the breaker. Good by to it. [Linked Image]

ed
#83310 01/31/03 07:52 AM
R
electech,

If we are going to shoot you, we'd better do it before they do eliminate gun ownership! [Linked Image]

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard