ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 519 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
These sketches might help illustrate what Al said.

When the SCPS is off, no current flows,
[Linked Image from electric-ed.com]
When the neutral current of the branch circuit is then combined with the current of other branch circuits in a multiwire branch circuit neutral, some of the currents add to each other.
[Linked Image from electric-ed.com]

Ed

[This message has been edited by electric-ed (edited 01-17-2003).]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

I
I am learning, thanks ElectricAL and electric-ed.

How do I recognize the loads that cause this?

For a while I used to hook up concert power feeds, one night during a show I was checking the 200 Amp 208/120volt 3p 5w disconnect for the sound system feed.

I felt the cables near the terminations (before I new about PPE) the 3 hots and ground where fine but the neutral was buzzing/vibrating.

Amprobe showed aprox. (This was 8 years ago I might be mistaken) 70 amps on the hots and over 210 amps on the neutral I remember thinking at the time it seemed the current had added up, I did not put much thought into it at the time, other then hoping the neutral feeding the disconnect would not fail.

Was this caused by a Nonlinear Load?

Another question, a lot of the data centers I do work in, run the servers at 208 instead of 120. Does this take care of nonlinear load problem or just move it from the neutral to a Hot?

As resqcapt19 said why not avoid the problem and go 120/240 single phase?

I will read the articles Ron linked to.

I hope these questions are not too basic, I feel like I should know this as I install this stuff (super neutral) all the time.

Thanks Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
E
How do I recognize the loads that cause this?
Equipment that uses switch-mode power supplies produce harmonic currents. Most electronic equipment, such as computers, printers, photo-copiers, some electronic ballasts, etc.

Ed

G
Gwz Offline
Don,

When using the SDS 1Ø 3W system(s) from a 3Ø 4W source, would the 3Ø transformer(s) need any special consideration?
i.e. If a premise system is 3Ø 4160V then at a point a 3Ø 480Y is used for that building and then 1Ø 3W 120/240V system is used for these non-linear loads.
Is there any non-linear load reflected 'up-stream' though the transformers?

R
Gwz,
My understanding is that there are very few harmonics on the primary side of the single phase transformer used to supply nonlinear loads.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
S
brave soul Don.

considering all the markets opened up in recent years due to harmonics ,and the simplicity of a single ph fix putting the kebosh to them.....

B
rescapt — The description of using 3-wire 1ø-secondary transformers is not unlike a description of {something like} a media-production studio {previously described at this board?} that contained some fairly exotic grounding and a specialized delta/dual-wye transformer; possibly a 480/dual-208Y drytype intended to limit high-side line harmonic currents.

If one were to employ three 1ø 2-wire-primary to 3-wire-secondary transformers with primaries served in delta, with the center taps of secondaries bonded and grounded in a conventional manner, this would effectively mimic the earlier-described “6ø”-secondary application furnished for the studio electrical system.

A description of the transformer connections could be, using three similar 1ø transformers—rated 240x480 - 120/240 Volts, with each 1ø transformer fed phase-to-phase from a 480V 3ø 3-wire source—1H1 and 1H4 connected to 480V Aø and Bø, 2H1 and 2H4 connected to 480V Bø and Cø and 3H1 and 3H4 connected to 480V Cø and Aø, comprising a delta arrangement. For the secondaries—1X2/1X3, 2X2/2X3 and 3X2/3X3 are tied together and grounded; treated as a separately-derived system. This comprises a staggered or “asterisk” configuration of ungrounded terminals sequenced 1X1 - 3X4 - 2X1 - 1X4 - 3X1 - 2X4, for serving various ø-n 120V loads.

This is somewhat similar to moderator Scott35’s drawings at https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum15/HTML/000052.html

R
sparky,
I think that is exactly why we don't hear much about the use of single phase 120/240 volt systems to supply these loads. There is more profit to be made by all involved using K rated transformers, harmonic filters, oversized neutrals and other treatments for the symptoms of the problem.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
T
I understand that if there are too many conductors in a box, this can become a problem because of fill harmonics.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist [Linked Image]

<comedy club drummer>
ba-dump bump *crash*
</comedy club drummer>

Very "punny" TG!

[Linked Image]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard