ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 483 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
If you were an electrician, or someone with previous experience in the electrical industry {concerning premises wiring systems}, what training did you have to prepare you to make your first electrical inspections?

How many electrical inspections do you make in a normal working day? 5, 8, 10, 30, or 40?

NEC Article 100 Definition

Premises Wiring (System). That interior and exterior wiring, including power, lighting, control, and signal circuit wiring together with all their associated hardware, fittings, and wiring devices, both permanently and temporarily installed, that extends from the service point or source of power, such as a battery, a solar photovoltaic system, or a generator, transformer, or converter windings, to the outlet(s).

Such wiring does not include wiring internal to appliances, luminaires (fixtures), motors, controllers, motor control centers, and similar equipment.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
When I started with the City of La Junta(1986), I worked under the chief inspector. I did the electrical work for the city, and went with him on a few inspections. After 6 years, he retired, so I became the chief. My background was as a working electrican, and being a Master Electrician taught me the codebook.

After hiring on with the City, I joined the ICBO, and also the IAEI, attending many meetings and seminars though out the years. It was through ICBO that I met Mike Holt, how inspired me to learn all I could about the industry, and not accept the notion of "That's how it's always been done".

I also worked for the local chapter of IAEI, becoming 2nd Vice-President, and education chairman, before leaving those posts, last year (2001).

I was making around 600 inspections a year, though most of those were follow-ups after rough-ins, not one time inspections, though there was alot of those.

Local inspection has been turned over to the State, so I will be devoting my time to being a "fulltime" electrician for the City.

I urge everyone, inspectors, electricans, engineers, etc.., to become active in their local chapter of IAEI. It is a very rewarding experience, and like any orginization, needy of volunteer help.

Rick Miell

Joe:
I work "part-time", 2 days a week, (8 hrs day) for a large township in NJ. They have a full time AHJ also. For year of 2002, there were 4150 electrical tech cards filed and paid for. The "boss" requests 15 inspections a day....anything from a replacement furnace (resi), alarm system, rough/final resi, comm and industrial. Basically the twp has a good "mix", resi, condo's, apts, comm, mall, ind. parks ( 2 large), hospital, etc.

My backround is 6 years with a contractor, apprentice/journeyman/foreman, my own lic. & EC business 16 yrs, and 4 months as a working inspector. Member IAEI since 1984.

John

John
H
Joe,

As you know me, I started in 1975 doing electrical work, went in my own business in 1984 and was asked to become an inspector in 1998 when my friend passed on. I work for 4 different communities and see all kinds of electrical work. From normal small res. additions, service changes, to large custom homes, ( 15,000 sq ft. with indoor pools and their own bowling alleys.) Commercially, 7 story senior housing, new car dealers, a small airport, hospital operating room, etc. ( I almost dare say that I have seen it all, but I know something else will pop up.) In fact one of my first inspections in 1998 was an operating room. Talk about being nervous, here I was new to inspecting and I was looking at an operating room. I can get anything from 7 to 25 inspections per day. Depends on the time of year, winter is slower as with the constrution industry.

Harold:
How the heck do you do 25 a day??????
You work in a small town, or are the jobs close together or???

Tell me you dn't count multiple cards for one stop??

Hell, I have a tough time with 13-15 in 8 hrs.

John

John
H
John,

I start work at 7:00 am almost every morning and I work til 5:00 PM on Mon.-Wed.-Fri. Sometimes you count 2 inspection at on site for two. Did you ever pass a rough inspection and fail the service? (or VS ) [Linked Image]

Harold

Harold:
I start at 7:30 am, till 4:00PM (1/2 hr lunch) the normal two days I work in Edison. (Tues & Thurs)

The "boss" hinted that 15 is the number, I don't want to say quota, but???
Some days the TACO's schedule 12, but it's usually 15 for me. The Sub-Code gets the same on 4 days, Thursday is straight Plan Review for him, but he "takes a few" to get out of the office. BTW, He's a great guy!!

BTW, Edison covers a lot of real estate, I don't know the sq. miles, but it's big.
Like I said earlier, there where 4150+ electric tech cards for '02.

Ever been to Raritan Center, Heller Park, Menlo Park Mall, Ford Assembly Plant, etc.?
John

John
L
HotLine1.john or harold...

i have a question for you.does new jersey let you have both your electrical lic and your inspection lic.i live in phila and you can't have both at the same time.just curious

H
John,

I cover 4 towns as a full time job. All towns are in Morris County, I cover Montville Twp., Pequannock Twp., Boonton Twp., and Borough of Lincoln Park. Total area is approx. 42 sq mi. and about 35, 000 people. In Montville they do about 1100 permits, PQ does 900, LP does 300 and Boonton Twp. about 250 per year. I also cover 1-3 other towns when someon is out sick or on vacation. When you work for multiple towns, neither town cares what you get in the other town. They give you what they want and you have to hustle. When construction was going full bleast in the summer, I sometimes had to work through lunch and through my office hours. Mont. is pretty big and travel can take 1/2 to get from 1 end of town to the other. PEQ, is small and if you get 6-7 inspections they are all right around the block from one another. As I said, I am on the road at 6:45 AM in the morning and sometimes I don't stop until 5:00. The worst time I had was when my associate was out for 6 month with an injury, I had to cover my 4 towns and two of his. That is some of the days I had 25. I also would go out on Sat. to make up for 1 or 2 missed during work hours.

Light house,
Here in NJ you can keep your contractors lic and use your inspectors lic. The only think you can't do is to do work in your town or any other town that touches it. In my case since I work so many hours in the fiel, I just gave up my contractors permit but kept the lic. I will not give that up. I can always get my bus. permit back when ever I want.

HArold

H
John,

I did some work down in edison once. There was a tall ( 4-6 stories) building all in glass down by the mtro train station. We were wiring up 1 whole floor that the GC turned into offices. That was about 5-6 years ago. I might be able to look back into old bills to get an address of the building. Also another friend of mine works in Bridgewater as an inspector down there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard