ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 151 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
The fused extension cord is an interesting concept. As most of you know, the standard plug here in the U.K. contains a cartridge fuse, so any extension cord fitted with this plug automatically has fuse protection at a maximum of 13A.

It's still not foolproof though. Some smaller-gauge extensions will come with instructions that a fuse no greater than 5A must be used, but people will still fit a 13A fuse and then wonder why a 3kW load starts burning up the cord.

Code requirements to insure an ample quantity of suitably placed receptacles etc. certainly go some way to reducing misuse of extension cords, but I think that ultimately it has to come down to educating users in their correct use.

And whatever the NEC or some other NFPA rules or their equivalent in other countries say, most people aren't even aware of the existence of such rules, certainly couldn't care less about abiding by them, and will just plug in whatever they have to hand.

How to get the message across is another matter.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
S
That's a new one on me Joe .......

[Linked Image from ul.com]

S
Sparky,

I think that cord pictured is intended to control Christmas tree lights. At least that's the recommended use I've seen in one manufacturer's catalog (Gem Electric).

You plug all of your lights into the cord and then use the foot-switch to turn the thing on and off....instead of plugging and unplugging the cord.

I was told about those Christmas-light-switching-cords by an office receptionist. I'd come for a power outage call in her area.
She had a PC, Laser Printer, and a little heater plugged into a plug strip, which was plugged into a 3wirex2wire adapter,which was plugged into a 10' Malaysian 2 wire #18 extension cord run around the cubicle (secured to the cubicle fabric with push pins) and plugged into the wall.
Surprisingly enough, the cord went bad!!
This all despite the fact that her cubicle had 2 dedicated circuits (one IG, and one dirty power).
She said the office manager told her she shouldn't use the recps. in the cubicle. [Linked Image] (I went "gunning" for him).
We could put in receptacles every 2' around the entire world, but until the public gets a clue and an education, we're gonna find stinkin' extension cords.

Now, wouldn't one of those Christmas light switches work great on that big table saw in my garage? [Linked Image]

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard