ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 184 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
How would it be possible to enforce such a code/ordinance in a private residence?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
hehe..... 56',
how about this guy??

[Linked Image from mindspring.com]

E
Sparky,

Your reservations about additional verbiage is dead on. The mechanistic solution described in Joe's lllooonnnggg post, towit:
In addition, UL-listed extension cords now must be constructed with #16 gauge or larger wire, or be equipped with integral fuses.
The appropriately sized integral fuse might be extended to all gauges of extension cords.

Al

Al Hildenbrand
B
Last week got a call to check out a breaker that wouldn't re-set. Resident said nothing new on the circuit. Sure enough, it wouldn't re-set, so I traced it out. On the 15A circuit: washer; computer with monitor, printer, scanner, etc; big screen tv; gamer box; end table lights (you know the kind that are rated at 75 W and the resident puts in 150's); X-mas tree lights; exterior X-mas lights; and a 1500 watt space heater in the garage connected via a $1.50 zip style extension cord (the space heater was trying to heat a 2 car garage that was un sheetrocked, un insulated and open to the soffit vents). These folks don't get the Darwin Award, but they're sure practicing hard for one.

S
Al,
i once possessed a fused x-cord, and marveled over it, thinking i had a novelty item...... [Linked Image]

something to consider as i drive down roads here with home after home decorated to the season..

methinks the CPSC's disclaimers and cautions, although valid, will not be displayed on dollar store zip cords in my lifetime....thus it is product deception via omission !**

yet additional verbiage could , in regards to the NEC, incorporate fused devicing , i'm sure you are aware we would not be re-inventing the wheel....

edited to add **
bobp's simutaineous post makes my point for me

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 12-28-2002).]

H
Joe,

You know me and I appreciate all your help with helping me years ago with my inspectors lic. I agree with you in theory and I know that all you want is the safety of people everwhere. I can see where "You are biting your tounge" with your symbols on the BB board. My thought is that can we help what people will do after we inspect things? Even is the NEC proposise, GFCI's, AFCI's no extension cords, no receptacles near tubs, pools etc. Do you think that the people of this country will follow our safety issues? People in general are stupid. The first thing we do is to blame some one else. ( GEE, I am sorry your honor. I didn't think that putting a radio on my bath tub might electrocute my wife! ) The biggest problem right now with our country is LAWYERS. I don't even have to go there. I know how much this board loves these people. I carry your rules for inspections around with me when ever I go out on inspections, but I can't always worry about a "WHAT IF" scenario. If some stupid person decides to use an extension cord to wire up his TV while he is flotting on a tub in his pool, then maybe he deserves what is coming to him. (P.S. I still respect you and your opinions Joe.)

Harold AKA Caper

B
Harold,

You mean it's not my fault if I eat Big Macs and fries with malts 4 times a day and get fat?

Geez... what a concept, personal responsibility! How would the scu... ooops...lawyers survive.

Bob

Harold:

Amen! Thanks for the kind words!

[Linked Image]

Here's an example of cord mis-use, reverse polarity?, and no equipment grounding!

I found this at one of my seminars where the extension cord they provided was the two-wire type.
[Linked Image]
PS: Let's not forget the classic cord here!

[Linked Image from joetedesco.com]

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 12-30-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
S
the voice of reason Harold....

it just needs to somehow get around a little more.....

[Linked Image]

H
Joe,

That floating bottle receptacle is priceless. I can't believe that no one was hurt with that thing.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard