ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
[Linked Image]

https://www.electrical-contractor.net/Guestbook.htm

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 12-30-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
Hotline:

Re. the light duty 20-gauge extension cords you saw:

I remember in the 1980s (probably dating from the 1970s) seeing bunches of 18-gague extension cords - some as long as 20 feet.

In fact, a couple of years ago I got rid of a bunch of these (either cutting them up and using them as replacement cord for lamps and radios) or just trashing them.

These were unpolarized and without that little blocking tab that doesn't allow you to connect a grounding plug into them.

I haven't seen them being sold at supermarkets, dollar stores and such places in years. The smallest size extension cords I see are 16-awg/SPT-2 polarized cords.

However recently I stumbled across a self-service store (that must be in businees since the 50s or something) with like THREE bins full of these 18-gauge things, still new in the sleeves!! [Linked Image]

I may get one....just as a souvenir...or a cheap supply of zip cord for rewiring table lamps (the insulation seemed to be still flexible).

Now what do you guys think of those 25-foot 16-AWG "medium duty" (haha) orange grounded extension cords? You know the ones geared towards contractors, outside work, power tools, etc.?

That's a real doozy...some people hook up AIR CONDITIONERS, washing machines and refrigerators into these 16-AWG orange suckers instead of using the 14-gague ones designed for that purpose! [Linked Image]

R
Joe,
You can cite all of the code sections that you want to, but in my opinion, the scope over rules them all. If it is not in the scope, it is not a valid code rule.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
Don:

You are full of surprises! I'll try to set the seed and may be able to have it grow into a CMP Proposal when I sit in at the meetings next month. This change would settle our questions, you agree?

90.2 Scope.
(A) Covered. This Code covers the installation and use of electric conductors, electric equipment, signaling and communications conductors and equipment, and fiber optic cables and raceways for the following:

S
I am sure OSHA must have some data that validates the hazards due to the misuse of extension cords.

Here's what the CPSC says. http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/16.html

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 12-28-2002).]

R
Joe,
I agree that a change in the scope would make the code apply to those sections in question. I believe that under the NFPA rules it is too late to make any proposal for a change to the 2005 code. I'm not sure that these types of rules belong in the NEC which is geared to installation of the electrical system. If the code scope was expanded to cover the "use" of electrical equipment, I think that you would have to add hundreds of pages of code rules to cover the uses permitted and not permitted for all types of electrical equipment. I'm not sure that is the direction that the NEC should go in. These types of rules should be left up to the other fire codes. Also enforcement of any such "usage" rules would be very difficult as the AHJ for the NEC really doesn't have access to the buildings after the construction is complete and the project has been approved.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
S
Where I am from restaurants are subject to annual inspections for health, building and fire. Every year a few do not pass because they have extension cords running everywhere. They call us and we run the necessary circuits and set the proper devices. One was so bad they had cords passing through partitions and through ceilings.

If an establishment or dwelling is wired properly, the "need" to use extension cords is greatly reduced.

S
true spyder, but usages change.

personally, i see an issue in faulting our trade for that.

in the bigger pix, people will always be ignorant of certain safety issues.....

so any 'fix' becomes inclusive of more than just us.

writting another code to be ignored is not the answer here, sorry.

F
I e-mailed a couple of pictures of a device made to multiply the number of tools or cords you can plug in to an extension cord on construction jobs about a week ago to be posted on the Photos Submitted for Discussion section but I haven't seen them up yet. These devices, made by Yellow Jacket, have turned up everywhere in my area lately. They are selling like hotcakes and every job I've been on lately has at least 3 or 4 in use. You can power up to 5 additional cords off of one with these. If the pictures are ever posted you will see what I'm talking about. One picture is of the UL listing and instructions for use. I posted the pics seeking opinions from others on their use. Some of these jobs I've seen them on will be using them for months and months bringing up the "temporary" definition.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard