ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 251 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#82915 12/22/02 10:30 PM
W
Selling elec stock at a supply house way back in the 80s. I had to ask the purchaser if they planned on using it for a sub panel, then sell them an addition ground bar kit. I use to remove the connecting bar on panels myself to isolate, my understanding is this removal exempts the panel from it's original equipment and becomes void. I believe that's why there's threaded holes for placement of a gnd bar. I can understand why this would upset someone that it's not more deversafied, but if the panel manufacturer added a ground bar kit with every panel it would be more expensive, and it wouldn't always be used, so then the constumer would be upset for paying more for something they don't need. Personally, I purchased several different size ground bar kits for 2 or 3 different panel type, kept them in my truck. Became usefull for sub panels also for adding on to existing panels. Just my humble opinion, hope it helps.

~Ange

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#82916 12/22/02 10:34 PM
T
Sparky
I use the add on ground bars in those panels for the sheer convenience of not having to route one conductor of each circuit to the other side of the panel. What that panel is sold as is convertible service equipment. When used as service equipment it has forty eight terminations. That's thirty two neutrals and thirty two EGCs with two EGCs per hole. In order to convert this panel you add the ground bars. SqaureD is now including the ground bars in there MLO panels but they are still an optional extra in their main breaker panels.
--
Tom

[This message has been edited by tdhorne (edited 12-22-2002).]

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
#82917 12/23/02 08:14 AM
S
sparky Offline OP
ok, so now i'm packing GB10 G-bars in my truck, not a big to-do.

i still say it's like buying a new truck & finding that the wheels are extra.

#82918 12/23/02 10:15 AM
W
Don't laugh, I bought a truck in 88, found out it didn't come with a rear bumper.
[Linked Image]

#82919 12/23/02 12:20 PM
C
Hey Steve

I wasn't trying to pick on you above. I have always felt the manufactures should include ground bars with their loadcenters. Since a main breaker loadcenters are usually used for services I can see why they might not include them but out here on the west coast we use combination service entrance devices for residential services. Most supply houses only stock main lug loadcenters since they will me used as a sub panels. What good is a 40 circuit main lug loadcenter without a ground buss?

Curt

Curt Swartz
#82920 12/23/02 03:39 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
naw, your educating me Curt(et all), no prob.

i guess G-bars will be included in my New Years resolution.......

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard