ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#8269 03/14/02 09:16 PM
J
JBN Offline OP
Could anybody on the forum tell me what all is required to get into Electrical Engineering? Thanks.

#8270 03/14/02 09:42 PM
R
Ron Offline
Anyone with electrical knowledge could be a power electrical engineer in an engineering firm without formal training, because you could work under someone to sign/stamp your work. Anyone with electronics knowledge could be an electronic/electrical engineer because formal training or license, in most cases, is not required.
If you want to hang a shingle out of your office with your name, then you have to get your PE (Professional Engineer) license. It requires 4 years of engineering school and 4 years of experience or I believe an associate’s degree and 12 years of experience. During and after you would need to complete a two part exam, and magically, you are a PE too!

Ron
#8271 03/14/02 10:35 PM
E
I'd say the simplest way is to get enrolled in the College or University of your choice that offers a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering and pay the first tuition. Everything else follows that. The course work will present the challenges that will help you define your interest and pick your discipline within EE.

There's no secret handshake.

Al

Al Hildenbrand
#8272 03/15/02 02:20 AM
ElecticAl,
You are correct, there is no secret handshake, but you are required to have a secret decoder ring.
JBN,
Open a search engine, and check the web. I've seen lots of info out there on engineering.

Wattological Regards,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
#8273 03/15/02 11:27 AM
M
JBN
If you are talking a BSEE, then thats four-years of college. The first two years are really pre-requisites for applying and getting into your Universitys EE program. The way it used to be was a 64 hour pre-engineering program:
4 semesters calculus
2 semesters chemistry
2 semesters physics
4 semesters of the socail sciences [Linked Image]
If you are into Math and are a mathlete this is the place to go, because it is a rigorous program, and basically amounts to a weed-out program for the engineering programs.
On our first Physics exam the highest grade was a 32 and the mean was 26.
For that type of program it take dedication.
Good luck
-Mark-

#8274 03/15/02 07:12 PM
M
I studied mechanical engineering, not electrical but probably 75% of the coursework was the same. Almost all math.

They called it chemistry, physics, mechanics, and alot of other things but it was all math.

If you're really good at math, and willing to really work for four years, it may be for you. It was the hardest four (or maybe more for me) years I ever had. In my very first college class ever, I sat in a lecture hall with about 400 other kids. The professer asked us to introduce ourselves to the people on either side of us and told us that only one of the three of us would still be here after the first exam. He was right.

Once you earn your degree, you can become an EIT or engineer in training. That means you have a mentor you work under for five years in NJ, rules may vary elsewhere. After the five years, you take an exam and become a licenced Professional Engineer (PE).

I never bothered.

#8275 03/15/02 09:44 PM
Broom Pusher and
If you have good skills with the Power end of the trade, plus some Drafting ability - along with a basic idea of how the stuff works, the low voltage [spec systems - such as Comm / Data, etc.] and a little management / architectural know how, you have the base abilities for a fine Power Systems EE.

As mentioned, you will need the 4 year BSEE degree [Bachelor of Science - Electrical Engineering. This degree covers all the EE's from Power System Engineers, to Software Engineers].
Along with this, you will need to take the necessary steps involved to obtain your P.E. License [Professional Engineer].
This will require you to become an "EIT" {Engineer In Training], which is the first of two exam dates you will have.
After becoming an EIT [passing the exam and obtaining the EIT cert.], you will begin accumilating credits by working under one or more licensed PE's.
Once you have enough credit and you have the BSEE degree, you may apply to take the PE exam.
Pass this exam and you are an EE! [do as I do, wear glasses and act like a big time nerd!].

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#8276 03/17/02 07:38 PM
B
Hats off to you if you want to pursue the "EE" degree!
Before I was an electrician, I was an aviation electronics tech and I thought the theory was tough for that! (trying to get those analog systems formulas, etc was tough for me!).
I considered the "EE", but I don't have the talent for the higher math required. A Journeyman Electrician makes some good money out here in Colorado, so if its money that's the issue...
By the way, when I asked some engineering students what they thought of the Electrical Engineer degree, they told me two things:1. It's the hardest engineering degree 'cept chemical engineering 2. There's a reason there is a double E in the word Geek!
LOL!

Link Copied to Clipboard