ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 434 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
On a positive note, the ground is up on the ivory receptacle with the metal cover in pic
#7.

Steve
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

T
stamcon says:
On a positive note, the ground is up on the ivory receptacle with the metal cover in pic #7.

That pic is probably upside-down ;-)

It's true that most of the pictures show some violations. It's good to be prepared to cite the specific rule(s) that may apply.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 12-22-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
G
Gwz Offline
Do some areas require the Neutral bus and the Equipment Grounding bus in the SERVICE EQUIPMENT be separate bus's ?

I am thinking of the typical residential service.

N
While we are attacking the panel, the double breaker on the right has a white wire that isn't reidentified as hot.

In the closeup of the lower left, it looks like the second hole up from the green bonding screw has both a neutral and ground on one screw. It's hard to see but the top one on that bar may also be doubled-up.

T
It's true that most of the pictures show some violations, and I would not disagree with most of the comments here, but would challange anyone to meet that inspector on the job to go over what you see wrong.

Please carry along some credentials too!

Be prepared to cite the specific rule(s) that may apply, and let's hear the other side of the story before flaming someone who cannot defend his work.

That's one item here on this board that I am not happy with, and feel that if the issue is related to safety that the name and location of the inspector should be given.

Send him the link to this thread and stop bashing people.

Bill I hope you agree!

Joe
The man is in an impossible position. He will have to face this inspector again and again and he simply can't afford a fight with him. I don't know what credentials are required to comment on the obvious code violations to be found in those photographs.
--
Tom

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
Joe T.,

It's true that most of the pictures show some violations, and I would not disagree with most of the comments here, but would challange anyone to meet that inspector on the job to go over what you see wrong.
I'd be quite happy to, but the home owner (lawyer) is so disgusted with him that he doesn't ever want him back, even for free!.
Please carry along some credentials too!

This particular Inspector already knows my credentials (and has actually asked me for advice on occassion). As far as the homeowner (and myself) are concerned, my credentials aren't in question here.

Be prepared to cite the specific rule(s) that may apply, and let's hear the other side of the story before flaming someone who cannot defend his work.

I'm in the process of readying a report complete with NEC quotes. I was hoping for the vast input from ECN first, and didn't want to spoil any fun with my own answers.
I didn't see flames here... [Linked Image]

I have excitedly invited him to ECN many months ago (wrote the URL on the back of a business card), but he's not the type to be inclined to be interested.

That's one item here on this board that I am not happy with, and feel that if the issue is related to safety that the name and location of the inspector should be given.

Wouldn't I open ECN and myself up to slander lawsuit at that point?!?!

Send him the link to this thread and stop bashing people.

I don't have his email address, and I did several searches for it. I'm unaware of the fine line that seperates this thread from your Violations Photos Section. Considering the ubsurdity of the situation, I think we all remained gentlemen here.

If the Webmaster gives his blessing on me posting his name and address, I'll do it, but only until then.

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
E
Is it within "the listing" of the equipment to remove the bar to seperate the neutral and eg bar? Joe, I am unsure what you mean by stop bashing this guy. It is plain to everyone here that this work stinks and why should we not comment on it? Perhaps the comments regard some things that may be trivial but I see nothing but a good discussion here.

GWZ,

Depends on whether or not there is a disconnect. There is in this case, with a four-wire feeder.

Electricmanscott,

Yes, it is in the instructions to remove the bar if it is used as a sub-panel, and to keep the bar if it is service equipment. That way, no extra ground bus is required to purchase. Panel is a GE TM4020CCU 200A 40 space indoor 120/240V.

(I'd been buying ground busses for a couple years before I actually read the instructions to find out!)

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 12-12-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
S
Virgil,
from a tradesmans view, this thread could critique these shots for some time

from an contractors point of view, do you really want a salvage job here?

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard