ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 197 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#8251 03/14/02 11:19 AM
M
motor-T Offline OP
The electrical utilities do all of the wrong things relative to stray voltage. They consider ground to be the same as neutral and they connect the primary neutral and the secondary neutral together at their distribution transformers. The neutrals are then connected to water pipes and building structure of the building. All this results in the potential of the building structure and piping being elevated to the voltage level of the utilities neutral conductor. This is the primary cause of stray voltage on a farm. The good news is that this kind of stray voltage can be eliminated quickly and cheaply by insisting that the electrical utility separate the primary and secondary neutrals on your transformer.
--- The above is from a " Stray-Voltage" site--
Is it me or does anyone else have a problem wiht the way the above is written. I believe its 250.24(c) that requires the neutral to be bonded at the service. They suggest Isolating the neutrals of the primary and secondary of the pole distribution. Which the PoCo does for farmers in my area free of charge, the poco, calls it a 'Neutral Blocker'.
I got a call from a dairy farmer who had a stray voltage in his Milking Parlor. Most Farms in my area have what is described as a 'Maypole' in the middle of the yard where the poco attaches there conductors, and from there (they the farmer or his electrician) distribute tri-plex to all the buildings. At all these buildings is a panelboard with a bonded neutral.
The solution I used was to rewire the sub-panel with a 4-conductor and isolated the neutral to help prevent a ground-neutral voltage. The dairy-output is back to normal from what the farmer tells me, so we helped eliminate most of the stray voltage problem.
Has anyone else seen this ? And this 'Stray-Voltage' thing seems to be the latest ' Cash cow , no pun intended.

#8252 03/14/02 03:08 PM
E
Neutral Blocker!

I like it. IMHO this ties in with concerns raised around municipal water pipe ground connections.

It's been a while since I've done farm wiring. May I ask, how the block is set up.

Usually the poco transformer is one span away from the "Maypole". The incoming high voltage line has lightning arrester(s) on the transformer, bolted to the transformer can and run down the pole to the earth ground. The transformer can is bonded to the ground as well.

Is the poco disconnecting the secondary neutral to ground connection at the transformer lugs? Is the service neutral's first connection to the earth at the ground rod at the Maypole?

Al Hildenbrand
#8253 03/14/02 06:14 PM
M
motor-T Offline OP
ElectricalAl:
The neutral-Blocker is what our poco calls it, it isolates the primary-neutral from the secondary neutral.
No the poco does not disconnect their grounding, this site from what I can figure out is trying to sell something, with the idea that stray voltage is the fault of the power company. When I read this I was livid. and of course a 'slick-talking salesman' is going to place all the blame on the poco.
They even bash equi-potential planes as being too expensive and not that effective. Which is only partially true. So Armed with a pocket-full of half-truths these people are making a living.
The trouble is farms are seldom bothered by the local AHJ. [Linked Image]

-Mark-

Link Copied to Clipboard