ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 146 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#8235 03/13/02 09:28 PM
M
menegt Offline OP
Situation: Many light poles in campus walkways. 3 circuits (277V) feeding them. At times ballast go bad and circuit trips or bad connection in cristie(sp) box. Spend many hours tracing to exact pole(s)

Problem: How to save time in finding correct pole which is bad. When the circuit trips it trips the hole bank of lights (20) lights or so per leg (HPS 100W). I was thinking of putting some sort of in-line fuse w/ a popout indicator on each pole. What do you guys think any suggestions? It's a real hassle trying to peel of switch legs here and there. There's about 20 Christie boxes.... Any suggestions?

R
What is a christie box?

I would mark the poles that represent 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 points on the circuit. Everytime you have a problem on that circuit, go to the pole that represents the halfway point on the circuit, and break the joints. Go turn the breaker on. If the circuit breaker trips, you know the problem is on the first half of the circuit. If it doesn't, you know that the problem is on the second half. Remake the joints at the halfway point, and go to either the 1/4, or 3/4 point, and start the process over again.
This is know as "half splitting".
Good Luck.
Regards,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
M
menegt Offline OP
Thanks Doc, good advice. Unfortunately at the University, before I got there there have been many runs which have been re-pulled, conduit abandoned and backfed... it's a real mess. The best I/We could do is disconnect at a halfway point which you mentioned and at this point 20 or lights are out and it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack. We certain sectors in the campus which are broken up exactly the way you have mentioned. Troubleshooting not too bad on that one. I was just wondering if there was a way to install some sort of pop-up indicator on tha actual pole or via an inline splice or something. I know I could physicaly install it but does this sound kind of McGyver-ish?

Mike

R
Why not just use the inline fuses at each pole. You don't need any type of "popout indicator". Just turn the power on and look for the fixtures that aren't lit.

Don(resqcapt19)
M
menegt Offline OP
Yes.... very good idea. Thanks.

Does anybody have a good source for the inline fuseholders? I've had some trouble locating good, UL listed ones for this application in the past.

R
electure,
Look at Bussmann's HFA series for 250 volts or less and the HEH series for 480 volt applications. The HFA products are UL recognizied and the HEH are CSA certified.
Don(resqcapt19)

Don(resqcapt19)
Broom Pusher and
Menegt,

I like your fuse idea. That would help identify one or more overloading fixtures.

I have a feeling that these Ballasts do not have a Power Factor Correcting Capacitor installed. Have recently installed some new Hubbell HPS fixtures [100 watt HPS - ANSI S54 lamp] and there was no Capacitor included.
That makes the PF only 50%, so there's close to 2 times more current drawn.

I included this to give a possible fix - try installing Capacitors to lower the Line Amperes / KVA.

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
R
What is a christie box?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard