ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
J
I know that code clearance for a transformer and panel is 3'I believe, don't have NEC with me. But the question is people at our shop want to move the painters stuff into an area were there is a transformer and two panel box's 120 and 480, the area is open and by the maint dept. My question is how far according to codes do the paint cabinets and the bench were the painter will be using thinners and such have to be from the electrical items i have stated.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

N
The NEC has the clear space requirements for acess to the panels and other electrical gear. This allows you to work on the equipment.
It does not address storage of paints or other flammables.
You can go to the NFPA web site and find which of the codes would addrees the storage issue.
I would also inform whoevers idea this was that all you need is a spark while the paint fumes are heavy and you won't have to worry about that area again.

ed
J
ya i have brought that very issue up not to mention this will take up more of our maint area. the area were they are wanting to put this stuff isright on the outside wall of the paint booth so and there is only a 16'space from the shop wall to the end of the paint booth wall and the electrical equipment is on the shop wall so it doesnt leave much of a distance from the transformer.

S
You mention paint cabinets. I am not sure of what code it falls under but we are required to keep our paints and thinners in a flammable storage cabinet. I think it is the fire department. You might want to check on that.

S
Electrical equipment rooms are no place to store any items let alone paint and thinner.

R
OSHA has very stringent requirements as far as flameable storage and use, as well as your local fire department. (already stated)

I would ask your local fire department to do a courtesy visit to your facility.

Your insurance writer may have some input as well.

Roger

J
Thanks for all the input, yes we use the flammable container cabinets

this is not an electrical room it is in the open, 2 breaker panels on the wall one for 480v and one for 240 120 with a transformer on the floor to step down the 480v so this is not a room it is an open area in the shop

the 2 flammable cabinets and a table the painter will use to mix and thin paint for use in sprayer will all be with in 10 feet of the transformer and the panels.

Link Copied to Clipboard