ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 293 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#8223 03/13/02 01:05 AM
T
teeland Offline OP
Ok guys, I know that prices vary from region to region, but is there some kind of pricing configuration for log homes? Since I have taken over the family business, I have not had the pleasure of billing out a log home. I have had plenty of experience in wiring them, but my father always did the pricing.

On normal residential homes, I charge by the opening and very rarely by the sq. foot. But on a log house, it would seem that the labor cost just can't be accounted for until you are finished, and a square foot estimate would be the best way.

Am I close or just standing out in left feild without a clue? And what are the going rates in your areas. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#8224 03/13/02 01:21 AM
J
If you are in the Long Island area I would like to assist with the installation. I have seen a log home wired on TV one time. (HomeTime) [Linked Image] It seems there are many many factors to consider when wiring them. I Would like to see one wired up, start to finish.

James

#8225 03/13/02 02:25 AM
Mr.t[eeland],
I don't know about log cabins, because I'm an estimator for a commercial/industrial contractor. I will say that I never "square foot" an estimate (unless I'm trying to give the customer a "ballpark" figure). I do a detailed, indexed take off, apply pricing and labor, tax, any quoted materials, profit and overhead, equipment rental, etc., etc., etc.
You would be wise to look into a book by Ed Tyler called "Estimating Electrical Construction". It has information on residential applications that I'm sure would help.
Regards,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
#8226 03/13/02 07:58 AM
R
Watt Dr.,

Could you explain your procedure for using the take-off method with a little bit of detail?
From what I know, it is tedious but accurate.

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 03-13-2002).]

#8227 03/13/02 09:02 AM
W
Check out loti.com . They have had some discussions regarding electrical installations. There are also some users on this board that have done log homes.

#8228 03/13/02 12:12 PM
I've wired four "real" log homes, (old wood that cabins are rebuilt from, not these pine lincoln log looking things)...

They've always been T&M, because if you an give them an accurate figure before the job, they'll probably balk at the price.

So for me, it's either T&M or if they insist on an estimate I'll go up to double the cost of wiring a regular home, and let them have sticker shock...

If the logs are drilled before being stacked, that helps immensely, otherwise, be prepared for about three hours per stop.

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI

Link Copied to Clipboard