ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
An existing drinking water fountain, or cooler is sometimes confusing to those who are not familiar with the NEC where they call for GFCI protection.

We know that 680.2 definition of a fountain does not include a "drinking fountain".

So what gives the right to a Safety Officier to mandate that they be GFCI protected on a government facility?

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 10-17-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

W
Authority having Jurisdiction.

E
Qualified answer? [Linked Image] Does a government facility fall under the NEC? Would this be an OSHA requirement? If strictly an NEC issue I would say the safety officer would have no right to require something such as this.

walrus
Authority having Jurisdiction.

Please explain what this means? See 90.4.

Electricmanscott:

I agree, and thought that the safety officier didn't have an NEC rule to cite.

What I mean when I ask for a "qualified answer" is a reply that gives an opinion such as yours.

I like to discuss the subjects that I post so that I can help with the questions that are asked of me "real time".

I expect that some of my students will join ECN, especially when they find out that their questions can be answered on this bulletin board.

Thanks

W
My Understanding of the AHJ, the person or body that decides how the code(s) will be applied to a specific case. The final say in how certain code(s) get applied in their area of responsibility. The AHJ opinions must have some basis in fact and cannot be pulled out of thin air

[This message has been edited by walrus (edited 10-15-2002).]

walrus:

That's what I thought you were thinking.

I also agree that the AHJ cannot, and should not pull or develop rules out of the thin air.

H
Joe,

Is this "Goverment" facility fall under Federal laws? Or maybe state rules? Here in NJ, the municiple inspector has no jurisdition with state or fed. buildings. Unless someone else owns the building. For example, if the Dept. of Motor Vehicle rents space in a local store front, then we would inspect the building. If it is a train station or post office, we are hands off.

Caper

Joe:
The NEC is the "minimum" standards required for electrical installations; correct?
We as inspectors are mandated to enforce the NEC.
We as contractors are mandated to perform our installations to the NEC, as MINIMUM standards.

WE as contractors CAN exceed the NEC requirements; correct???
WE as inspectors CANNOT mandate standards that exceed the NEC; correct??

The "Safety Officer", may have the jurisdiction to mandate GFI's if he is not stating "they are required by the NEC".
Engineers and architects can specify installations that exceed the NEC; wire size, pipe size, "spec" devices; GFI's all over, etc.

The above is my humble opinion, as an electrical inspector, and an electrical contractor. (NJ licenses)
John

John
R
Joe, the term "safety officer" should be clarified.

Is this an individual such as a Home Inspector, where some are very knowledgeable and others are not, and maybe this person is the latter interpreting something wrong.

I know this may not be a qualified answer, but we know this is not a NEC requirement.

If this is an in house issue where he is employed, so be it, but I'm not aware of any codes that would require it.

Roger

Joe,

Could the "GFCI required 6' from sink" myth be rearing it's ugly head here?

Just a thought.

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard