ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
J
At our shop(factory), we need to run some 120v receptacles to 5 workbenchs the only way i see to do it is go across the floor with rigid then up one bench and then we have a pcs of 1" box that is welded to the top of each table to support a 1 1/2 inch air line is it within code to attach my emt to the 1" box tubing just under the air line. then i would be able to put an outlet at each table, that would be feed from a 20amp breaker in a panel on the wall.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

B
Be careful that "across the floor" does not become a perennial tripping hazard or subject to damage. [Like forklifts! Them stupid, gol'dern forklifts!]

Else, that’s one thing ten-foot pieces of threaded rod and couplings are for—up there.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 09-27-2002).]

A
jlhmaint, I have run into simular problems in garages and machine shops and usually make a column by bolting strut together then piping down the strut. It may work for you if your ceiling height is not too high.

H
You can always use premade power poles from company's like Wiremold. I am not sure if the ceiling is too high.

J
We already have the air and a circuit for a freezer going across the floor in the same spot and forklifts can't get to this area.

over head bridge cranes prohibit us from a ceiling drop so thats out of question.

My biggest concern was weather it is ok to run the conduit on the 1"box that is welded to the tables.

H
Is the table bolted to the floor Or is it ridgidly supported?

J
now that i think about it no the tables are not secured to the floor, the tables are about 4x8 and are back to back in a line of 5 tables. they are made out of 2x2 box and are hard to move but not impossible. if conduit is ran from table to table do all tables have to be bolted to floor.

H
Technicaly the boxes have to be ridgidly supported, right?

T
I would want the tables bolted to the floor to be certain that they dont get moved and break a conduit coupling or connector(especially since you are running emt between them) I dont see a problem with attaching to the 1"sq. tubing

I worked as a maintenance electrician for 7 years and with the knuckleheads that were operating the equipment there,I never used emt,only rigid.

[This message has been edited by txsparky (edited 09-29-2002).]

Donnie
J
I know what you mean txsparky, the shop i work in now has some good people and not to many knuckleheads.

Link Copied to Clipboard