ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 261 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#81664 09/04/02 03:53 PM
A
Can I use a normal out door rec cover if installed outside but under the overhang or would it have to be the bubble type for use where something is left plugged in

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#81665 09/04/02 04:13 PM
If the receptacle has something plugged-in,on a "in-use" & not attended, then a bubble cover is required
Your local AHJ, may consider the fact that there is an overhang, and dependent on the conditions, MAY accept a "regular" flap cover. Basically, if the area is "protected" by the overhang, it may be OK for a flap cover
John

John
#81666 09/04/02 09:20 PM
G
I hate to sign on with a negative, BUT.....if I'm inspecting this (trust me, I'm not) Article 410 defines the area of an overhang as a damp location, the outlet will have the bubble cover if something is normally plugged into it.

#81667 09/11/02 09:48 PM
S
2002 NEC 406.8(B)(2) states that wet location receptacles must have a weatherprrof cover whether or notan attachment plug is inserted.

#81668 09/12/02 06:48 AM
S
bubble covers are now the rage in the 02', you can read the if, buts & ands in 406.8 (a) (b)

there is not a handbook commentary on this, which is a pity because i suspect the history ties in with the recent UL uprade of GFI's to 'lockout' status.

IMO, GFI's are a sensitive device, easily abused by New England weather here, so i simply wire from the load side of the panel GFI on out to these.

Rumor has it that GFI listings allude to a bubble cover, maybe someone here can quide me into the correct white book section?

#81669 09/12/02 07:28 AM
From 2001 UL White Book:

GROUND-FAULT CIRCUIT INTERRUPTERS (KCXS)

This category covers ground-fault circuit interrupters for use in accordance
with the National Electrical Code, NFPA 70.

A ground-fault circuit interrupter is a device whose function is to interrupt
the electric circuit to the load when a fault current to ground exceeds some predetermined value that is less than that required to operate the overcurrent protective device of the circuit.

A ground-fault circuit interrupter is intended to be used only in a circuit
where one of the conductors is solidly grounded.

A Class A ground-fault circuit interrupter trips when the current to ground has a value in the range of 4 through 6 milliamperes.

A Class A ground-fault circuit interrupter is suitable for use in branch and feeder
circuits, including swimming pool circuits.

However, swimming pool circuits installed before local adoption of the 1965 National Electrical Code may include sufficient leakage current to cause a Class A ground-fault circuit interrupter to trip.

A Class B ground-fault circuit interrupter trips when the current to ground exceeds 20 mA. This product is suitable for use with underwater swimming pool lighting fixtures installed before the adoption of the 1965
National Electrical Code.

A ground-fault circuit interrupter of the enclosed type that has not been found suitable for use where it will be exposed to rain, is so marked.

The ‘‘TEST’’ and ‘‘RESET’’ buttons on the GFCIs are only intended to check for the proper functioning of the GFCI. They are not intended to be used as ‘‘ON/OFF’’ controls of motors or other loads unless the buttons
are specifically marked ‘‘ON’’ and ‘‘OFF.’’

Products with ‘‘ON’’ and ‘‘OFF’’markings have been additionally Listed as ‘‘Miscellaneous Motor Controllers’’
and may be found under the (NMFT) category.

Some ground-fault circuit interrupters include receptacles, and are intended to be installed in an enclosure like a receptacle.

Such receptacle types found to meet appropriate requirements are marked hospital grade and/or ‘‘CO/ALR.’’ See ‘‘Receptacles for Attachment Plugs and Plugs’’ for
further information.

This category also includes rebuilt or refurbished portable ground-fault
circuit interrupters.

These are factory rebuilt to the extent necessary to replace components such as cords, plugs or cord connectors.

Rebuilt ground-fault circuit interrupters are subject to the same requirements and
Follow-Up Service as new ground-fault circuit interrupters.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

For additional information, see Electrical Equipment for Use in Ordinary
Locations (AALZ).

REQUIREMENTS

The basic standard used to investigate products in this category is UL 943, ‘‘Ground-fault Circuit Interrupters.’’
UL MARK

The Listing Mark of Underwriters Laboratories Inc. on the product is the
only method provided by UL to identify products manufactured under its
Listing and Follow-Up Service. The Listing Mark for these products includes the UL symbol (as illustrated in the Introduction of this Direc-tory)together with the word ‘‘LISTED,’’ a control number, and the product name ‘‘Ground-fault Circuit Interrupter,’’ or the product name preceded
by either the word ‘‘Rebuilt’’ or ‘‘Refurbished.’’

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 09-12-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

Link Copied to Clipboard